[SOLVED] windows 10 installation cant find my NVME drive, driving me insaine

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
This is driving me insaine, i have windows 10 download from microsofts website, i click on the install i find my NVME which is already partitioned. I select it to install, it copies temp files yada yada, then reboots. When it reboots it goes to the installer immediatly and then gives me an error saying windows cannot locate the partition. It shows me only 2 drives, and i have 4 on my system.

I have a samsung 860 EVO SSD, and 256gb SSD forgot the name, and a Western Digital black HDD you know the big hard drives i use it mainly for storage. I also have this new Samsung 970evo nvme. I have a 3800x, x570 gigabyte wifi mobo, 1080ti, 16gb G.skill trident z neo 3600 memory.

Why is my NVME detected in the bios just fine, and on my current windows 10 installation, i can partition it, store files on it and use it like a normal drive. But when i try to install windows on it, it detects the drive copies temp files, reboots and then says it cannot locate the drive. That makes sense..... It also as i said only sees my two SSD's, it doesnt see the nvme or the old western digital HDD..

God i hate installing windows, 15+ years and its always the same thing. Can anyone help me please

Solution
Ok, your MB only makes one mention of supporting NVME , and it's in the manual under the BIOS booting section.

NVMe Support
Allows you to enable or disable NVMe device(s). (Default: Enabled) This item is configurable only when Fast Boot is set to Enabled or Ultra Fast.

So yes, it does support NVMe, but again it makes very little mention of it, I guess it assumes PCIe is enough, even though non-NVMe PCIe exsists.

Further instructions include.
Boot Option Priorities
Specifies the overall boot order from the available devices. Removable storage devices that support GPT format will be prefixed with "UEFI:" string on the boot device list. To boot from an operating system that...

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
ok but if i dont have a thumb drive and im installing it from windows as a file i downloaded from microsoft, how will i be able to install it then if i disconnect all my other drives ?

USAFRet

Titan
ok but if i dont have a thumb drive and im installing it from windows as a file i downloaded from microsoft, how will i be able to install it then if i disconnect all my other drives ?
You can't do it from just an ISO file you download from Microsoft.

Reactions: bmockeg
I appears your MB does not support NVME booting (IOW it does not support NVME protocols); it is recognized as a drive by the BIOS, but it can not house the operating system, which is why it errors out when it tries to boot after the temp files are installed.

Last edited:

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
Thats silly youre telling me a brand new x570 board doesnt support installing windows on nvme lol ?

This is the screen i get. As you can see the windows install does not see my nvme. List disk doesnt see it either.. i unplugged all my drives and got a thunb drive.. its doing the same thing.. Yet i see the nvme in the bios what in the hell man

Ok, your MB only makes one mention of supporting NVME , and it's in the manual under the BIOS booting section.

NVMe Support
Allows you to enable or disable NVMe device(s). (Default: Enabled) This item is configurable only when Fast Boot is set to Enabled or Ultra Fast.

So yes, it does support NVMe, but again it makes very little mention of it, I guess it assumes PCIe is enough, even though non-NVMe PCIe exsists.

Further instructions include.
Boot Option Priorities
Specifies the overall boot order from the available devices. Removable storage devices that support GPT format will be prefixed with "UEFI:" string on the boot device list. To boot from an operating system that supports GPT partitioning, select the device prefixed with "UEFI:" string.Or if you want to install an operating system that supports GPT partitioning such as Windows 10 64-bit, select the optical drive that contains the Windows 10 64-bit installation disk and is prefixed with "UEFI:" string.

Good luck with your build, hopefully you will have more patience with another poster trying to help you.

Solution

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
Has nothing to do with you its windows and this whole install process.. when you sit here for hours and hours and hours and hourrrrssss and it wont work you want to punch a hole in the wall. driving me crazy man

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
i installed it to the thumb drive using rufus install it ntfs, gpt uefi, windows installtion sees the drives when IM IN WINDOWS itself, but once it copies files and reboots it doesnt see the drive. So i tried it with the thumb drive.. same thing. Hell it doesnt even see my regular big fat sata HDD, it only sees the two SATA SSDs... which is weird.

Im at my wits end, starting to think NVME and windows 10 are just trash and not really compatible. Might just sell this nvme or something. Im really getting depressed.

Yea i do have the latest bios.

Like i said the bios sees the drive, but it ONLY sees the drive with CSM enabled.. if i disable CSM it doesnt see any of my 4 HDD's ???????? a w10 install on a sata ssd sees the drive, i can put games ect whatever on it.. AND the windows install directly in windows itself will see the drive and see my old fat HDD, but once it copies files and reboot it doesnt see either the old fat hdd or the nvme.. only the two sats ssds.

What i dont understand is why wontthe windows install see the old sata HDD you know the big platter drive.. That to me is silly.. something isnt right

i installed it to the thumb drive using rufus install it ntfs, gpt uefi, windows installtion sees the drives when IM IN WINDOWS itself, but once it copies files and reboots it doesnt see the drive. So i tried it with the thumb drive.. same thing. Hell it doesnt even see my regular big fat sata HDD, it only sees the two SATA SSDs... which is weird.

Im at my wits end, starting to think NVME and windows 10 are just trash and not really compatible. Might just sell this nvme or something. Im really getting depressed.

Yea i do have the latest bios.

Like i said the bios sees the drive, but it ONLY sees the drive with CSM enabled.. if i disable CSM it doesnt see any of my 4 HDD's ???????? a w10 install on a sata ssd sees the drive, i can put games ect whatever on it.. AND the windows install directly in windows itself will see the drive and see my old fat HDD, but once it copies files and reboot it doesnt see either the old fat hdd or the nvme.. only the two sats ssds.

What i dont understand is why wontthe windows install see the old sata HDD you know the big platter drive.. That to me is silly.. something isnt right
No idea what Rufus is or why you’d use it myself. If you search “windows 10 media creation tool” you will be directed to Microsoft where you download their tool that makes a bootable USB for windows 10. That would be where I would start. I used this method and installed to nvme without 1 issue.

Nov 21, 2019
I've been running NVMe and Windows 10 perfectly for years. A few thoughts I have:

1. Don't use Rufus. As was recommended above, use Microsoft's own tool to create a bootable media.
  2. Download this driver and unzip it to the root of your properly created bootable Win10 drive, inside a new folder. I use drivers/raid/* for the folder structure but use whatever works for you. Then, during the setup process, when your're prompted to select the hard drive/partition for install, click on "have disk" (IIRC) and navigate to the folder you unzipped everything in, then to the NVMe_RAID folder and then hit OK. Hopefully it'll load those drivers and show your NVMe HDD.

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
I fixed it and found the problem. I got desperate and was trying to clone my HDD to see if that would work. Inside that cloning software i noticed it was calling my 1TB SATA mechanical drive and my NVME " microsoft storage pool" yet it was calling the other two SSDS by their names. Both of these "storage pool" drives are the two drives windows installer wouldnt see. I thought it was weird as hell why the installer wouldnt see a old fashioned mechanical drive you know ?

I typed in STORAGE SPACES in search, and this program from microsoft poped up and sure enough some how my NVME and sata mechanical drive were set as storage pool drives.. No idea how that happend.. I deleted every storage pool i saw.. Then i went to disk partition and then i made new partitions of both hdd's. Then rebooted went into my bios and disabled csm, turned on fast boot. Then booted once again from my thumb drive and started the windows install process. Guess what this time the windows install saw ALL of my drives, and right now i am typing this out on a fresh install on my NVME.. What a pain in the f'ing ass man..

Reactions: bmockeg