[SOLVED] Windows 10 installation error with NVME SSD and Supermicro Motherboard

maxrena

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
SSD: Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT1000P1SSD8
Motherboard: Supermicro X10-DAi
CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2698 v4
Here is what I found about configuration for windows 10 installation on supermicro motherboard
https://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=22269
I followed the instruction, but when I tried to install it on the SSD, it poped up the error:
Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enable in the computer's BIOS menu.
The hard drive option is AHCI already.
Please help.
Regards,

You didn't follow the linked instructions. There is nothing that said to use ACHI, it said to use UEFI, which is why it is not working.

X10DAi supports PCI-E NVMe SSDs as a bootable device with UEFI mode BIOS. Please refer to the following instructions on how to install the OS and boot into it:

1. Go into the bios to the section PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration and change the Device Option Rom Configure “UEFI mode” from Legacy on Riser card slot or PCIe slot.

2. Save and exit the bios.

3. During the post press F11 and select “UEFI: DVD-ROMxxxxxxxx” to start the installation. Some OS versions include built in drivers.

4. Reboot after OS installation, press F11 again and select “Windows Boot Manager” to load the OS.

It’s better to change the boot sequence in the BIOS if it is not in first boot device select "Windows Boot Manager" as first boot device in the BIOS.

maxrena

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
Here is link to your manual. Go to page 4-31 and follow the instructions you linked . https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C612/MNL-1563.pdf
I followed all of them, here are my screenshots of my BIOS settings
IMG-20191116-222410.jpg

IMG-20191116-222437.jpg

In your original post you linked instructions. The instructions had nothing to so with the Advance stat setup configuration, it was about how to configure and boot your NVMe PCIe SSD in the Boot tab. There is often no reason to deal with the Advanced sata config, as the default values usually work without needing to change them. The emphasis is on the Boot tab, as your will need to make sure the correct values are set, and you need to follow the boot directions in sequence to boot from your NVMe PCIe SSD. IOW, forget the Advanced sata config and concentrate on the Boot tab.

Last edited:

maxrena

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
I tried the easy way, it didn't work. It showed the error as I posted above.
That's why I have to find the other way or something else that I missed.
And the instruction mentioned about the PCIe/PCI/PnP, that is under the Advanced Setup Configuration tab.

maxrena

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
I think I should try the PCI x16, I was using PCI x8.
Of course I already had a NVME expansion card/adapter, the windows installation recognized the drive, but not letting install windows on it.
Updated: Tried, still not working

Last edited:

maxrena

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
That doesn't make any sense. Because the problem come from the motherboard not allowing the SSD, not about the way of the data coming from (i.e USB or DVD).
I tried that on other motherboard too. At first, it behaves the same, but after the configuration changed, I can install it.
This motherboard is the server motherboard, that's why I think there are something I have missed. But surely that's not from the DVD or USB.

That doesn't make any sense. Because the problem come from the motherboard not allowing the SSD, not about the way of the data coming from (i.e USB or DVD).
I tried that on other motherboard too. At first, it behaves the same, but after the configuration changed, I can install it.
This motherboard is the server motherboard, that's why I think there are something I have missed. But surely that's not from the DVD or USB.
One would not think the install media would make a difference, but sometimes it does. Regardless, until one follows the instructions given by the Motherboard manufacturer, there is really no way to know if there is a problem, and in this case it says to install with a DVD drive in UEFI mode (option #9).

maxrena

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
Yeah, so what's the difference between the DVD and the USB? Both use SATA ports to transfer data. What will make the DVD work but the USB no?
And one more thing, have you really seen that error I posted above? That error states very clear that the error comes from the type of the SSD or the controller, not from the data source.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQAcpccZ1ek

This kinda error and you still think because of the USB/DVD???

You seem to have set up everything correctly, so I'm just trying to eliminate possible issues. Do I think this is the issue, probably not, but it's one more thing to check off the list. BTW, confirm you are using option #12 to boot the USB.

Edit: and the USB was created by the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and you changed the sata configuration back to ACHI.

Last edited:

maxrena

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
It needs not to be using what option to boot. That's just as easy as you choose it right on the screen when the screen first posts. No need to go all the way to the BIOS to boot it, just F11 and choose.

It needs not to be using what option to boot. That's just as easy as you choose it right on the screen when the screen first posts. No need to go all the way to the BIOS to boot it, just F11 and choose.
Actually that is what I meant. In following the instructions, the f11 one time boot option used to chose #12 .

BTW, just to be sure, according to your manual, without a second CPU in CPU2 plug , the only PCie slots that will work are 1,3 and 6.

Last edited: