Question Windows 10 Installation - Freezing on 11%

Dreuxx

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2016
Hello everyone.

I'm trying to help a friend install Windows 10 on his computer, and he's been waiting over three hours for it to install.
Currently, he's stuck on the following: "Getting files ready for installation - 11%"

What steps should we take, or should we wait it out?

USAFRet

Titan
Hello everyone.

I'm trying to help a friend install Windows 10 on his computer, and he's been waiting over three hours for it to install.
Currently, he's stuck on the following: "Getting files ready for installation - 11%"

What steps should we take, or should we wait it out?
Either a bad source DVD/USB.
Or a bad target drive you're trying to install to.

Dreuxx

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2016
Either a bad source DVD/USB.
Or a bad target drive you're trying to install to.

He's using a PNY 64GB USB flash drive to install Windows, and is also installing to his Kingston 250GB SSD.
Could you elaborate on "bad source," or what we should do? Hopefully those specs helped a little bit.

Dreuxx

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2016
Either a bad USB, or a corrupt construction of that USB.

Remake it and try again.
Then, try a different flash drive.

I made him format his USB flash drive again, and reinstall Windows on it.
Set the boot drive in his bios to the flash drive, deleted the partitions from the failed installation, then started again.
After 5 minutes, it went up to 15% (so past the 11% from before), but has been stuck since then, and it's been almost two hours.

Dreuxx

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2016
Can you try a different physical flash drive?

Unfortunately, he doesn't have another flash drive at the moment. However, we just got an error message after about two hours.

"Windows cannot install required files. the file may be corrupt of missing. Make sure all the files are required for installation are available, and restart the installation.
Error code: 0x80070017"