Discussion Windows 10: Installation of all applications and programs takes forever

BathindaHelper

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
I'm posting a solution to a problem. Since I couldn't find its related question, I want to share my knowledge.

I installed Windows 10-64 bit fresh. And started installing drivers and some basic programs after installing Rollback and Avast. Every thing was fine here around.

Suddenly after installing some 6-7 needed wares, I noticed the same bug that even when my PC/Windows resources (CPU, Ram, Harddisk activity) were more than 50% free, yet installation of even the smallest ware like Adobe Flash was taking like forever. I tried the following and then happen to solve with the last step:

1. Adjusted Windows settings for performance, rather than visuals.
  2. Tried boosting performance from the Control Panel> Power Plan> Maximum Performance.
  3. Searched 'msexic process' in the task manager to end, but it ended any ongoing installation, even abruptly ended Windows Features update changes, which was very painful, took a long time to undo everything and then redo.
  4. Then I found that perhaps there was something which was almost stopping the installations from even starting. And found that my new/changed user Account Control settings prompt was appearing in the background but for some reason wasn't showing to me. And installation dialogue/window kept waiting for the go ahead/my response.
  5. But ultimately, what solved my problem was that under System Properties> System Protection> Protection Settings, I had manually chosen the protection for 'C' drive. And this resulted in MS Volume Shadow Copy service to run and work in the background. And this was happening even when 'Rollback' was already taking (or trying to take) snapshots. As soon as I disabled this protection (or temporarily ended the Volume Shadow Copy Service process), my installation went as smooth as possible/expected.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Rollback? Do you mean https://horizondatasys.com/rollback-rx-time-machine/rollback-rx-home/

Because MS Volume Shadow Copy service does a similar thing. Its not complete images but its creates a snapshot of system settings whenever you install new drivers (should only be drivers, not programs) Shadow Copy is used for System restore. Its possible they conflict.

So its possible your solution will help but I am not sure how many people use that software :)

Reactions: BathindaHelper

BathindaHelper

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
Yes, I'm talking about HorizonDataSys's Rollback.

2. It created problems whenever I installed any driver, or any other program, like Adobe Premiere.

3. I'm sure there are many many people who use rollback software. But surely, every body can't face the same scene as I did. But when they do, and go to google for solutions for the similar query, your page is among the ones thrown at them.

And when this type of big problem is faced, for whom google suggests these type of things: defragment, increase ram, check windows performance setttings, change power setttings to maximum performance, check disk, run SFC, check/scan registry, download so and so tool. One is really struck bad (as I was). Because this problem doesn't trouble him just once in a while. It constantly stands in front of the user.

And at that time, if he was shown the correct solution of just turning off this one service, do nothing else, he'd be saved. Or so I believe.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would turn system restore off if you have this software as they both do the same thing, create backups when drivers are installed

search for restore
click the Create a restore point choice
in the system properties pop up, click configure under System restore
Under restore settings, click Disable System protection