Question Windows 10 installation onto new SSD

trecords

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Hi All,

I have Lenovo Flex 5 1570, when I bought it there are was no SSD only 1TB HDD. I have added SSD NVMe drive now and I can see at mounted inside windows partition as Disc D and it works OK.
Now I want to clean install OS into SSD but Lenovo recovery still stick to HDD and install new OS into HDD. How can I change path to SSD ? all Windows installation files and Lenovo recovery tools should remain at HDD but new Windows 10 should be installed into SSD without losing original installation files.
I am able to directly install windows 10 by USD installation files but I want stock OS to be installed.

Thanks,
Turkel.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi All,

I have Lenovo Flex 5 1570, when I bought it there are was no SSD only 1TB HDD. I have added SSD NVMe drive now and I can see at mounted inside windows partition as Disc D and it works OK.
Now I want to clean install OS into SSD but Lenovo recovery still stick to HDD and install new OS into HDD. How can I change path to SSD ? all Windows installation files and Lenovo recovery tools should remain at HDD but new Windows 10 should be installed into SSD without losing original installation files.
I am able to directly install windows 10 by USD installation files but I want stock OS to be installed.

Thanks,
Turkel.
For a clean install, you physically disconnect or remove the old drive.
Especially if it has an existing Windows install on it.

Reactions: trecords

trecords

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
For a clean install, you physically disconnect or remove the old drive.
Especially if it has an existing Windows install on it.

I cant disconnect old hdd as installation files in it

According to this, in the bios you need to change the disk controller to AHCI, which will disable booting from your hard drive and allow you to install windows to your m.2 drive. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...5-1570-installing-windows-to-m-2/td-p/4078112

I am going to try this, lets see what happens.

USAFRet

Titan
My concern is not about storage or windows installation files, but Lenovo windows installation files which includes all drivers etc. I know I am able to download them too but stock installation files are better as I think, am I right or :unsure:
A clean Windows install will be enough to get it up and running.
Any Lenovo specific drivers (if needed) are available direct from Lenovo.

Using the Factory Reset limits you to the original drive, and also brings along whatever bloatware was included out of the box.

I've never had a Win 10 install where the original factory thing was "better" than a clean install of the bare OS, and then application of whatever device drivers are required.
Be in to a 10 year old Toshiba, or a brand new Asus.

USAFRet

Titan
You might be able to use the Lenovo factory thing to create your own bootable DVD or USB. That is a required ability, for you to be able to reconstitute the system if the original physical hard drive were to fail.
Look through the user manual for how to create that.

This 'may' allow running that on a different size and type drive.

Reactions: trecords
My concern is not about storage or windows installation files, but Lenovo windows installation files which includes all drivers etc. I know I am able to download them too but stock installation files are better as I think, am I right or :unsure:
Once you do a fresh install of windows 10 from an installation media, simply download this utility and Levono to download all the necessary drivers for installation. https://scan.driverguide.com/scan.php

trecords

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
You might be able to use the Lenovo factory thing to create your own bootable DVD or USB. That is a required ability, for you to be able to reconstitute the system if the original physical hard drive were to fail.
Look through the user manual for how to create that.

This 'may' allow running that on a different size and type drive.

Agreed and processed like on installation guide :) it is working OK now.
Thanks for help and valuable advises.