[SOLVED] Windows 10 Installation : Partitioning HDD(s) & SSD

Dec 24, 2019
Greetings to all on a new year. This is my first post on this forum.

Recently I have assembled a new PC rig with the following specifications:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo : MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
RAM : 2x 8 GB DDR4 @3200MHz
Graphic Card : MSI Armour Radeon RX 580 8GB OC edition
HDDs : WD Blue 1 TB
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB (from my old rig)
SSD : WD Green SSD (SATA 3.0) 240 GB
PSU : Cooler Master MWE 650 W (80+ Bronze)
Cabinet : Cooler Master MB511 RGB (with two additional exhaust fans from Antec - Spark 120 mm RGB)

I plan to install windows 10 along with other applications on the SSD while using my HDD(s) to basically store data (audio, video, pictures etc.).

My query is regarding the choice of partitioning the storage devices. I am not sure what's the best practice when it comes to partitioning storage media taking care of the important aspects of device performance, longevity and data organization. I summarize my dilemmas into the following set of questions :

1. Should I allocate the entire avaliable space in my SSD to a single partition?

2. The Seagate Barracuda (500 GB) is partitioned into three primary partitions and an extended partition with a logical partition. The MBR got corrupted in the disk and I intend to move all the contents of this disk to the new WD Blue (1 TB) and then re-format the disk with a GPT partition scheme (currently the disk is formatted in MBR style).

After I re-format the disk, should I allocate the entire disk space as one partition or several partitions?

The same query applies to the new WD Blue (1 TB).

What are the pros and cons of partitioning the HDD(s) into (i) a single partition each and (ii) more than one partition each [especially keeping in view the fact that I won't be using the HDD(s) for OS or other software installations rather as backup storage media] ?

I would like to thank you all in advance for your valuable inputs!

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Generally speaking, an SSD + HDD setup can be viewed as two partitions (albeit over two drives).

In 2020, beyond general overly complex organisation strctures, or if you need to utilize a different file systems, there's really no need to partition for the average user.

Reactions: Milo007
Dec 24, 2019
Just a tip - When you install Windows have just the SSD connected. When the install completes, connect your remaining drive(s). This will keep Windows from placing hidden partitions on the hard drives.

Do you mean that I should physically disconnect the HDD(s) before and during the installation or there's a way to make the hard drives unavailable via a BIOS tweak?