Question Windows 10 installation, pc freeze half way trough

Feb 6, 2022
I was planning on making a clean windows 10 install on my ssd but then when I tried to install windows 10 from a bootable usb I got this problem. I have tried many things but nothing seems to resolve the issue. Thank you for any response.

Ps: Im not sure where I should post this thread as Im not sure what the problem is related to.

The pc freeze up at different points during the installation, but most of the
time it freezes while preparing the files before installation (as in the image below).

List of things I have tried:
  • Using different ssd and a hdd for installation.
  • Changing from uefi and gpt to legacy and mbr.
  • Using the same bootable usb, with the same windows files, in a different pc (which worked).
  • Taking out one of my two ram-sticks and also swapping from a2,b2 to a1,b1 ram slots on the motherboard.
  • Installing windows 8.1 with a dvd disk instead of the bootable usb.
  • Installed windows 10 succesfully on my ssd while connecting it with another pc, then swaped it back to my pc where a got a new error in post, "remove and select proper boot device".
  • Removing and reconnecting every cable in the pc, including swapping sata cables to new ones.
  • Disconnecting every usb exepct the mouse, keyboard and bootable usb.
  • I tried leaving the installation for an hour after the screen froze to see if it would complete, and if it the problem was related the screen or gpu.
  • Resetting bios to default settings and disabling the xmp profile that was loaded.

Pc specs:
Mb - Asus Rog Strix b450 f-gaming
Cpu - Amd Ryzen 5 2600x
Ram -Corsair 2x8 3000mhz cl15
Gpu - Asus Rog Strix Radeon 5600xt
Ssd.1 - Samsung 980 1Tb nvme m.2
Ssd.2 - Kingston 120gb
Hdd - Seagate barracuda 2Tb 2012
Psu - Corsair RM 750X

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you recreate the bootable USB installer for the OS? Where did you source the installer from? Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing? How old is the PSU in the build above? Have you tried installing the OS with only the SSD populating the motherboard that you intend to install on?

Feb 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you recreate the bootable USB installer for the OS? Where did you source the installer from? Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing? How old is the PSU in the build above? Have you tried installing the OS with only the SSD populating the motherboard that you intend to install on?

Hello, thank you for the quick reply.

Did you recreate the bootable USB installer for the OS?

Im not sure I understand what you mean by recreate. If you mean reformating the bootable usb with a new installer, then yes. I also tried using different iso files for the installer.

Where did you source the installer from?

I used microsofts media creation to both download an iso file, and directly formating a bootable usb from the menu in the media creation tool.

I also tried downloading the iso file directly from microsofts official site.

For burning the iso file (that I downloaded from microsoft) to the usb I used rufus 3.17.
In rufus I tried formating a gpt with uefi and mbr with csm aswell, I also tried downloading a iso file through rufus.

https://www.microsoft.com/sv-se/software-download/windows10
https://rufus.ie/en/

Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing?
Currently the bios version is: 1003 x64 (build date 10/29/2018).

How old is the PSU in the build above?
The psu is almost brand new, I bought it in october 2021.

Have you tried installing the OS with only the SSD populating the motherboard that you intend to install on?
Yes, I tried installing while only one hard drive was connected (I tried it with all three hard drives)

Thank you for the respone

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022
Update

I installed the latest bios 4602 x64, without any trouble, but it not solve the problem.

I also looked at the qled light on the motherboard:
After turning on the power and booting, the qled flash through cpu (red), dram (yellow) and vga (white). The boot (yellow green) stays lit if I enter bios but turns off if I boot to the windows installer.
Is it normal for the boot qled to stay on while in bios?

Another thing with the qled is that when I get the freeze in windows setup the dram (yellow) light turns on and flashed once every second.
Should I interpret this as a dram error?

Ps: I believe this is hardware fault not windows related. Maybe I should make a thread about this in hardware/motherboard instead?

Update

I installed the latest bios 4602 x64, without any trouble, but it not solve the problem.

I also looked at the qled light on the motherboard:
After turning on the power and booting, the qled flash through cpu (red), dram (yellow) and vga (white). The boot (yellow green) stays lit if I enter bios but turns off if I boot to the windows installer.
Is it normal for the boot qled to stay on while in bios?

Another thing with the qled is that when I get the freeze in windows setup the dram (yellow) light turns on and flashed once every second.
Should I interpret this as a dram error?

Ps: I believe this is hardware fault not windows related. Maybe I should make a thread about this in hardware/motherboard instead?
What got you into wanting to do a new install?
Was the machine having problems?

Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot it up and let it run a pass.....no errors allowed.
A lot of stuff has to function for memtest to work.

Feb 6, 2022
What got you into wanting to do a new install?
Was the machine having problems?

Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot it up and let it run a pass.....no errors allowed.
A lot of stuff has to function for memtest to work.

Thank you for the reply.

Before I tried to clean install windows 10 I had some irregular windows blue screen crashes, if I remeber correctly the stop code was system service exepction. The crashes was not a regular occurence. In total it happend 3 times over the last two months and the lastest crash happend last friday (thats when I decided to clean install windows 10). After a crash I would reboot and everything was back to normal and would continue to work normaly for couple of weeks.

Another reason for the clean install was that I wanted to go back to windows 10 (I had windows 11 before).

Memtest86:

I booted and ran memtest86, its still running and right now 3 of 4 runs have been completed with 0 errors.

If needed, I will edit this reply and ad a picture of the memtest86 summary when its finished.

Edit/Memtest summary

Thanky you again for any ideas or response.

Last edited: