Question Windows 10 installation process randomly freezes ?

Apr 17, 2022
Hello ! I had some problems recently with my pc as I have updated the bios and I could not get the pc to boot anymore, I wanted to do a fresh install of windows and I have formated my ssd, the problem is that whenever I am installing it it randomly freezes either on getting some files ready or at whatever moment without any apparent reason. I can get in bios, there it doesnt freeze no matter how much I stay in it, it happens just when I am in the installation process. I have tried removing my Hdd, other peripherals, have tried making another usb with media installation tool, but neither of these seem to help. Any idea what I could do?
Specs if needed:

Asus rog z490-e (bios 1003)

i7 10700k

Evga 2080 super

Corsair vengeance pro

samsung 970evo plus ssd

Colif

Win 11 Master
the getting files ready stage is when windows is first starting to use files that were copied onto the NVMe so its possible the problem is your NVMe

you could try installing onto HDD with nvme removed and see if you get any further.

freezing during install tends to mean hardware. Fact it didn't happen until after it copied to nvme makes me think its not ram, as it would have happened before this point if it was.

Hello ! I had some problems recently with my pc as I have updated the bios and I could not get the pc to boot anymore, I wanted to do a fresh install of windows and I have formated my ssd, the problem is that whenever I am installing it it randomly freezes either on getting some files ready or at whatever moment without any apparent reason. I can get in bios, there it doesnt freeze no matter how much I stay in it, it happens just when I am in the installation process. I have tried removing my Hdd, other peripherals, have tried making another usb with media installation tool, but neither of these seem to help. Any idea what I could do?
Specs if needed: asus rog z490-e ( bios 1003 if needed)

i7 10700k

Evga 2080 super

Corsair vengeance pro

samsung 970evo plus ssd
A successful Windows 10 installation requires: 1. computer's bios set to Secure Boot; 2. only 1 drive connected at time of installation; 3. drive must have GPT partition identifier; 4. all space on drive must be unallocated with no partitions leftover from previous installations. Since you write about formatting your ssd it sounds like you are not meeting requirement #4. Use a real partitioning app like Gparted to ensure that you meet this requirement. There is no advance formatting since the Windows installer does all of the partitioning and formatting itself.

Apr 17, 2022
the getting files ready stage is when windows is first starting to use files that were copied onto the NVMe so its possible the problem is your NVMe

you could try installing onto HDD with nvme removed and see if you get any further.

freezing during install tends to mean hardware. Fact it didn't happen until after it copied to nvme makes me think its not ram, as it would have happened before this point if it was.
I have tried with only the hdd and ssd removed, same problem

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried installing without internet connected? I don't know if it connects to internet at that stage, I know it does later for updates.

bios 1003 if needed
4 more bios after that one so updating might help - https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z490-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios (I assume thats model)

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

A successful Windows 10 installation requires:
1. computer's bios set to Secure Boot;
Not a requirement. Windows 10 can be installed in legacy mode too.
2. only 1 drive connected at time of installation;
Also not a requirement. More like suggestion.
This avoids complications with bootloader on one drive and windows OS on another drive.
3. drive must have GPT partition identifier;
Not a requirement. Same as point #2. Installing in legacy mode would require MBR partitioning.
4. all space on drive must be unallocated with no partitions leftover from previous installations.
Also not a requirement. It eases up installation process though.
And you avoid accidentally formatting wrong partition and loosing data, since there's no data to begin with.