Question Windows 10 installation stuck on gathering files.

IhateISPs

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Hi all,

I’m having some trouble with the worst pc I’ve ever built. I finally managed to get it all set up and built and now I’m having trouble installing windows 10 on it.

It gets stuck every time at “gathering files and information for installation”

Sometimes if I leave it I get BSOD watchdog violation.

Anyways I’ve tried 2 different SSD, 1 HDD and they all get stuck at a different percentage complete on the stage above.

Removed my graphics card
Removed 2 sticks of ram
Tried plugging SATA cables in different ports on mobo
Tried different bios settings but was wary because I’m not really confident.

Things I’m about to try -

Wiping usb stick and trying again using rufus instead of windows media creation tool.

I’m starting to think it’s the mobo which has been a pain in the ass anyways because of it’s glued on IO shield, I had mega problems getting it into my case and had to cut part of my case off to get it on the stand offs ...

If it’s the CPU I’m going to cry.

I can say that I have used the 3 hard drives on my old setup and had no issues installing windows on them.

Specs are :-

-I9 9900k
-ASUS ROG maximus hero xi
-1080ti
-32GB Corsair dominator rgb 3200
-H150i watercooler
-120GB scandisk ssd
-750GB crucial ssd
-1TB western blue HDD
-Corsair 850i platinum PSU

If you guys need any other specs lemme know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
remove all drives except the one you want win 10 on, only have 8gb of ram, remove any overclocks

try using another USB drive

Usually, “Stuck on getting files ready” comes with a progress indication. Sometimes users have reported this getting stuck at 12%, 47% and what not. This happens when the hardware, i.e., Hard Disk or the USB driver is slow. If you are trying to install Windows from a USB drive or any external media which is slow, then you need to change it.

Either get a faster USB drive or create a new installation media and try installing again. That should help.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-install-stuck-during-installation

IhateISPs

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
I think it’s somthing to do with my mobo or cpu for certain.

I managed to fully install windows 10 but it just keeps hanging and freezing, gives me no BSOD or crash message.

When I first got logged on I managed to load task manager and my cpu went to 100% for no reason and then when it went back down to 10% the system froze again.

IhateISPs

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Another edit:

I’m not really sure anymore what’s happening can’t tell if it’s the cpu or mobo.

I can’t install any software to make sure it’s not that because the system hangs before anything after 5 mins on desktop

Edit1;
It doesn't hang in safe mode. ive been on it for about an hour. if I open too many windows etc then it starts lagging abit. ive tried downloading drivers but it wont let me for some reason.

CPU z doesn't show a chipset or anything. its so weird.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS