Windows 10 installation to external hdd

pappu_khan

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
I have been trying to install windows 10 on my external hdd as my internal hdd is not working (to play games..........)
I have created partitions on my external hdd and used WinToUsb to install windows to that partition.
But when I try to boot from my hdd the computer shows a black screen with a flickering 'I' (the one which comes when you select something to write) at the top right corner.
When i repeated this procedure on another pc with same ext. hdd , it worked
FYI , i referred to this guide: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-run-a-portable-version-of-windows-from-a-usb-dri-1565509124

Solution
The guide forgot to mention that you will need to go into BIOS and set the external HDD to be the first boot device.

How is the external HDD connected? If it's USB, please look through the USB options in BIOS Boot Order menu and see if there's a USB Hard Disk option, if not just select USB.
The guide forgot to mention that you will need to go into BIOS and set the external HDD to be the first boot device.

How is the external HDD connected? If it's USB, please look through the USB options in BIOS Boot Order menu and see if there's a USB Hard Disk option, if not just select USB.

Solution