Question Windows 10 installed on new motherboard?

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
I have a cd copy of Windows 10 that I purchased through pcpartpicker.com. My question is I am upgrading to a AMD motherboard from a 1150 so I can upgrade my CPU from a 15 4690k to a Ryzen 5 2600x, will I need to buy windows again? If not, how do I deactivate windows so I will work on my new build?

USAFRet

Titan
The OS is currently installed wit hthe 4690k system, and you're moving to the Ryzen 5?
Should be no problem

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

That's just for the licensing.
You may still need to do a full wipe and reinstall with the new hardware.

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
I plan to do the full wipe and reinstall with new hardware anyhow... That way there is no driver bugs. But by upgrading cpus I had to change to a whole new motherboard. How can I tell if my activation key is reusable?

USAFRet

Titan
I plan to do the full wipe and reinstall with new hardware anyhow... That way there is no driver bugs. But by upgrading cpus I had to change to a whole new motherboard. How can I tell if my activation key is reusable?
Go through the links I posted above. If it is an OS license that you purchased and installed, it is almost certainly able to transfer to new hardware.
You just have to go through the right steps.