Windows 10 installer crashes (among other problems)

Mar 11, 2018
This one is quite the doozy. I was doing a clean install of windows 10 to my Asus desktop computer. Just a little background it was a Windows 7 OS but I upgraded to Windows 10 when that was a thing. So when doing my clean install I picked Windows 10 Home, since this was the version that I had. So it went through the installation and asked for a CD Key, one which I did not have so I clicked I do not have a product key. So I selected Windows 10 Home and it installed. My computer then restarted and started to do the installation. It then just went to a black screen after saying "Getting Ready" for about ten minutes.Now I am currently without a key, I can only assume it will see that I had previously had Windows 10 before the fresh install. My computer is just stuck like this. Any suggestions as to what I could do would be greatly appreciated, and yes I've tried to install it multiple times and it always does this.

Solution
You have a key, you actually chose the right choice. "I don't have a key" is the right choice. Since all of us who updated from win 7 to 10 don't have a key, Microsoft have all the details stored on a server at their end. If win 10 hadn't stopped on that black screen, it would have continued to install and at end, checked the server and activated your PC

Have you tried restarting PC? Do you have any extra USB devices (apart from mouse/kb) attached as it might be trying to update drivers for things like printers or external hdd.

Was there anything wrong with PC that led to you fresh installing?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You have a key, you actually chose the right choice. "I don't have a key" is the right choice. Since all of us who updated from win 7 to 10 don't have a key, Microsoft have all the details stored on a server at their end. If win 10 hadn't stopped on that black screen, it would have continued to install and at end, checked the server and activated your PC

Have you tried restarting PC? Do you have any extra USB devices (apart from mouse/kb) attached as it might be trying to update drivers for things like printers or external hdd.

Was there anything wrong with PC that led to you fresh installing?

Solution