Windows 10 installtion from a USB3 port

loay.106

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
I'm trying to install windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron 7359 laptop and I keep getting the following error in the installation process:

FIX-A-Media-Driver-Your-Computer-Needs-Is-Missing-While-Installing-Windows-10.png

This is what I tried to do:

- I burned the installation ISO file to a USB using rufus, microsoft dvd download tool and woeusb. Every time, the same error.
- I tried switching the usb stick to a different usb port, didn't work (I saw a solution to cancel the installation then change the usb stick to a usb2 port). I'm guessing it didn't work because I only have usb3 on my laptop.
- I tried installing the windows on a different laptop and it installed correctly (Therefore, I'm pretty sure the usb/ISO aren't corrupt).

Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Solution
Windows 10 has USB 3 drivers so that is not the issue. This is something that has been seen occasionally and fixed one of two ways (neither of which really make total sense but might be worth a try).

If you see a drive to install to when you start, plug into one USB port and when you get the message, cancel out of it, change the USB stick to another USB port and try to continue.

If you cannot even see the drive, try using the Intel RST drive from HERE.

And you might also try using a different source for the Windows 10 image if you can find one as they can be corrupted during download.

RealBeast

Titan
Windows 10 has USB 3 drivers so that is not the issue. This is something that has been seen occasionally and fixed one of two ways (neither of which really make total sense but might be worth a try).

If you see a drive to install to when you start, plug into one USB port and when you get the message, cancel out of it, change the USB stick to another USB port and try to continue.

If you cannot even see the drive, try using the Intel RST drive from HERE.

And you might also try using a different source for the Windows 10 image if you can find one as they can be corrupted during download.

Solution