[SOLVED] Windows 10 Internal Drive A device which does not exist was specified

denno020

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2013
For seemingly no reason at all, one of my backup internal HDD's has started giving me this message when I try and open it in Explorer

Drive-Doesn-t-Exist.png

My drive still shows in explorer and in the Disk Manager, and everything looks fine.

Disk-Management.png

Explorer.png

I've had this drive in my tower for as long as I can remember, and I only just accessed it a day or so ago (it contains back ups, so I don't access it that regularly usually).

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Windows Information:
Windows 10 Home
Version 1909
Installed On 12-July-20
OS Build 18363.959

Solution
We're on version 2004 for Windows 10. Update to the latest version for the OS or reinstall the OS after creating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. To add, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard and that your storage drivers are also installed.

That being said, what is the make and model of your motherboard and are you operating on any SSD's? Your partition structure seems to be all over the place. There's no sequencing to your drive letter allocation.

Lutfij

Titan
We're on version 2004 for Windows 10. Update to the latest version for the OS or reinstall the OS after creating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. To add, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard and that your storage drivers are also installed.

That being said, what is the make and model of your motherboard and are you operating on any SSD's? Your partition structure seems to be all over the place. There's no sequencing to your drive letter allocation.

Solution

denno020

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2013
Thank you @Lutfij!

I wasn't sure if it was safe to upgrade to the latest version of Windows, have heard issues about files being deleted, so I was trying to hold out as long as possible, but your message prompted me to just give it a go, and now I am able to access my drive again.

As for the HDD structure, 😅, yeah that's probably not my finest work. I've essentially just plugged in hard drives and because it worked, left them :).

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS