Windows 10 Internet Speed Half of what Windows 7 is on EXACT same Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2018
New install of Windows 10 but I only get half (120+/- mbps - via Speakeasy) the download internet speed vs Windows 7 (250+/- mbps) on the exact same hardware setup. I currently have an HP8540p laptop with a 1Tb SSD hard drive. I was running just Windows 7 and decided to split the hard drive into two partitions and load Windows 10 on the 2nd partition. Now I have a dual-boot Win 7 / Win 10 laptop. All ethernet drivers (for the Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network card) are current and all ethernet drivers match line for line characteristic wise between 7 & 10. I boot into Windows 7, run Speakeasy speed test, get 250+/- mbps download speed. Boot into Windows 10, run the exact same speed test but only get 120+/- mbps download speed. What's up with that? Just a side note: When I test my down load speed via WiFi I get about the same speeds for both Win7 and Win 10 at about 105+/- mbps. Can you help resolve? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Issue RESOLVED! Turned out to be a two part fix. First part - I made the following changes to my Network Driver: 1) Link Speed & Duplex changed from "auto-negotiate" to "1.0 Gbs Full Duplex" 2) Receive Buffers from "256" to "512" and 3) Receive Side Scaling Queues from "1 Queue" to "2 Queues". Note: These changes by themselves had no impact.

Enter part two of fix. After a lot more searching I came across the following, tried it and it worked. Changed the Window Auto-Tuning setting from "Disabled" to "Normal" - Follow this link: https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/windows-10-limiting-internet-speed/ on how to do this. Simple and straight-forward.

After I successfully tested speed via Speakeasy (at 300+ mbps), I went back to...
Feb 27, 2018
Issue RESOLVED! Turned out to be a two part fix. First part - I made the following changes to my Network Driver: 1) Link Speed & Duplex changed from "auto-negotiate" to "1.0 Gbs Full Duplex" 2) Receive Buffers from "256" to "512" and 3) Receive Side Scaling Queues from "1 Queue" to "2 Queues". Note: These changes by themselves had no impact.

Enter part two of fix. After a lot more searching I came across the following, tried it and it worked. Changed the Window Auto-Tuning setting from "Disabled" to "Normal" - Follow this link: https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/windows-10-limiting-internet-speed/ on how to do this. Simple and straight-forward.

After I successfully tested speed via Speakeasy (at 300+ mbps), I went back to my Network Driver and reset the values I had changed back to their original values and retested the connection. Epic fail. The speed after reverting to the old values was in the 80+/- mbps range. I reverted back to the original changes I had made and again tested. Magic - 300+ mbps. Hope this will be a help to others.

Solution
Feb 27, 2018
Correction to above: "First part - I made the following changes to my Network Driver: 1) Link Speed & Duplex changed from "auto-negotiate" to "1.0 Gbs Full Duplex" 2) Receive Buffers from "256" to "512" and 3) Receive Side Scaling Queues from "1 Queue" to "2 Queues"."

Upon further testing, changes 2) and 3) are not required. Just 1).. "1.0 Gbs Full Duplex"

Status
Not open for further replies.