Windows 10 Is Coming, But Don't Expect It This Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
No matter how much testing and planning you do, something will go wrong. Always hedge your bets. If things go well in the first wave, you can accelerate the second, and so on. But be conservative in your stated commitments and look like a hero if it goes smother and faster than expected.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Well put epobirs. I'd prefer the phased approach rather than "all in". I see way too many release fails when trying to do it all at once.

USAFRet

Titan

From the FAQ: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's very likely that MS paid attention to game launches like Diablo 3 and other new online games and decided that staggering the launch would be smarter than having millions upon millions slamming their servers and getting millions of trouble tickets. Looking at several of the last game launches, there has yet to be a very popular title with a smooth launch day (that I can think of).

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
It's not like we are in a rush. A new OS doesn't actually do anything. It's just a nice to have if it's done right. DX12 could be big but until it's actually used it's pretty pointless as well.
I see no problem with a delayed roll out to make sure it's usable.

USAFRet

Titan

Haha. You haven't read here enough.
There are MANY people in here who will have a major breakdown if their PC is not updated by 12:02 on July 29.

Mark my words, on July 29 and 30, there will be a flood of threads asking "Why isn't my PC upgraded yet?!?"
There will be people staying up until midnight, just to get it 'first'.

THG mods are the brightest :p

That said this is what I am going to do. In fact I plan on buying a small cheap but fast USB 3.0 drive and making it my dedicated Windows 10 installer.

I never upgrade, always do a clean install. All my data/games are stored on a RAID0 separate from the OS SSD so it is pretty much no loss.

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
I really just wish they'd release a utility to make you a key so you can reformat-install right off the bat. It's just a waste of time to have to upgrade beforehand.

USAFRet

Titan

Who knows...they may do that eventually.

rdc85

Honorable

what kind of DL method it will be used?
if they go with the torrent mechanism/type, it can save quite much of bandwidth... (overall/generally)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

just got told by them i can't clean install and you don't get a product key so i don't think even they know what the hell is going on.

USAFRet

Titan

USAFRet

Titan

May be a good idea, but they won't do that.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
This is a nightmare looming for support centers.

Customer: "I tried upgrading to Windows 10, now my computer won't boot!"
Support agent: "Go through system image recovery and..."
Computer: "Ooops I have no system image"
Support agent: "Ok sir, you will need to send this in and it will cost you this much $##"
Customer: "But this computer is still under warranty!"
Support agent: "Software is not covered by warranty sir, but you can call Microsoft on this number: #######"
Customer: "No! You must help me! I'm still paying for this thing. I'm going to complain." (then he hangs up)
Support agent: 'What an idiot. Just like almost every single other customer.'

Seriously, customers are retarded.

rdc85

Honorable

They could use the same torrent principle, but not using open torrent client..
they can made simple closed inhouse torrent client and named it windows10 updater or such..
(only for purpose updating windows10.. )

in that why they can control it as they like and also have some security..
Torrent really helpful in some area with slow internet and freeing queue on main server..

who knows :) maybe they will use that...

Status
Not open for further replies.