Question Windows 10 is making usb connect/disconnect sounds on lock screen

rockboxes08

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018
So I am having a problem that is bugging me for 2 months, I did a fresh install of Windows 10 a week ago, but the problem is still there. HWinfo64, and USB tree viewer are showing that port13 port14 port15 port16 are having failures, but what are these ports in my PC? I have only mouse and keyboard connected, and everything, as far as I can tell, is working fine... Windows shows no exclamation marks in device manager... Here is the screenshot of troubled ports:
IZHnZWAxlS8.jpg

Colif

Win 11 Master
what motherboard do you have? It might give me somewhere to start in working out that might be.

Do you have latest BIOS and/or chipset drivers for PC

problem with your question is not everyone's PC is the same
As I only have one unknown there
1frj9ma.jpg

not sure if its right place to look, have you checked the event viewer to see if anything shows as happening at same time as the noises?

you have internal connectors on motherboard that may not be attached to anything externally. One such in my PC links to my Bluetooth that is on the motherboard itself. Only found that out using the app you showed.

rockboxes08

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018
what motherboard do you have? It might give me somewhere to start in working out that might be.

Do you have latest BIOS and/or chipset drivers for PC

problem with your question is not everyone's PC is the same
As I only have one unknown there
1frj9ma.jpg

not sure if its right place to look, have you checked the event viewer to see if anything shows as happening at same time as the noises?

you have internal connectors on motherboard that may not be attached to anything externally. One such in my PC links to my Bluetooth that is on the motherboard itself. Only found that out using the app you showed.

I have ASUS Prime B250-PLUS motherboard. I wanted to attach my HWInfo log, but I don't know how.

I tried to find something in event viewer, but everything is fine as far as I can tell. No new errors or connected devices...

I have front panel USB, that is connected to motherboard, but I removed it, though failed ports were still there. Also I contacted asus about this issue, oh and in my BIOS I couldn't find USB3_3 and USB3_4 ports.
B-vUaGZzypY.jpg

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible USB 3_3 is used for USB type C

i could be wrong

if you look at page 1, https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_B250-PLUS/E12111_PRIME_B250-PLUS_UM_web.pdf
the Front panel USB are labelled USB3_12
the USB type C is labelled as USB3_C3
The normal USB connectors on backplate are labelled USB3_56

I can't see USB3_4 anywhere?

the other USB could be USB 2 as you have plenty
Intel® B250 Chipset :
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (1 at back panel, , USB Type-CTM, Reversible, Support 3A power output)
Intel® B250 Chipset :
4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, Type-A, 2 at mid-board)
Intel® B250 Chipset :
6 x USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) (4 at back panel, black, Type-A, 2 at mid-board)

the mb description matched what I can see. 1 Type C & 4 USB 3

the other USB3 channels must be used for internal functions.

rockboxes08

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018
its possible USB 3_3 is used for USB type C

i could be wrong

if you look at page 1, https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_B250-PLUS/E12111_PRIME_B250-PLUS_UM_web.pdf
the Front panel USB are labelled USB3_12
the USB type C is labelled as USB3_C3
The normal USB connectors on backplate are labelled USB3_56

I can't see USB3_4 anywhere?

the other USB could be USB 2 as you have plenty
Intel® B250 Chipset :
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (1 at back panel, , USB Type-CTM, Reversible, Support 3A power output)
Intel® B250 Chipset :
4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, Type-A, 2 at mid-board)
Intel® B250 Chipset :
6 x USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) (4 at back panel, black, Type-A, 2 at mid-board)

the mb description matched what I can see. 1 Type C & 4 USB 3

the other USB3 channels must be used for internal functions.

So there's nothing wrong with USB ports that can make that sounds during lock screen? Oh, and I tried to connect my mouse in every single available port- it was working fine. I'm clueless, really. I wrote in asus support, maybe they can tell me anything.

rockboxes08

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018
how old are the USB devices? it could be one is causing the sound. Have you tried unplugging both and seeing if you still get noise on lock screen?

Both are new, mouse (wireless) is 1 year old, keboard is less than 4 months. If I unplug them or connect through front panel- errors are still there. But I'm not sure about that weird sounds on boot, because it's random. Can it be a... monitor? It's also new.

rockboxes08

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018
Ok, it is my keyboard, today when I turned my PC on, went to wash some dishes... monitor went to sleep or standby mode, so I clicked on my mouse and heard that usb disconnection sound, and found this:
TzAaILT5PQc.jpg

I thought it's my mouse, but it's Hewlitt-Packard vendor name...

P. S. Tried different port- same disconnection-sound-thing sometimes.

Last edited: