Question Windows 10 is only using half of RAM

Mar 28, 2019
Hello, I've had this PC for about a year or two and it's always had this problem that I couldn't solve.
It has 8GB of RAM, yet it will only use 4GB at max. I've tried about everything I've found online but I'm willing to try any other ideas other people have.

Image of my issue:
6jxlL4c.png

Here's my System Info about my RAM
fQEF99k.png

I'm running Windows 10 Home version 1803.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Mar 28, 2019
is it 1 x 8gb stick or 2 x 4gb?
what are specs of the PC?
how much is hardware reserved on the taskbar/performance tab? click on the link to Performance monitor at bottom of the memory tab and show that instead.

Code:
Memory

8.0 GB

Speed:    2400 MHz
    Slots used:    1 of 2
    Form factor:    DIMM
    Hardware reserved:    107 MB

Available    1.2 GB
    Cached    1.2 GB
    Committed    11.3/18.3 GB
    Paged pool    509 MB
    Non-paged pool    383 MB
    In use (Compressed)    6.6 GB (0 MB)

That's what it says, and it says I'm using 6.6 GB, but my only user is using 3 GB in total

As I read your posts, your first set of numbers says you're using 8-2.34=5.76GB. The second set of numbers says you're using 6.6 GB. I don't know what you're using to produce those numbers - I normally use Task Manager which all Windows 10 systems have built in. On my 8 GB laptop, Task Manager says I'm using 6.1 GB out of 7.9 GB which is in between your numbers, and is pretty normal.

Mar 28, 2019
As I read your posts, your first set of numbers says you're using 8-2.34=5.76GB. The second set of numbers says you're using 6.6 GB. I don't know what you're using to produce those numbers - I normally use Task Manager which all Windows 10 systems have built in. On my 8 GB laptop, Task Manager says I'm using 6.1 GB out of 7.9 GB which is in between your numbers, and is pretty normal.

I'm confused because task manager says my only user is using 3 GB and it tells me that is 85% when I have 8 GB in total

Colif

Win 11 Master
I'm confused because task manager says my only user is using 3 GB and it tells me that is 85% when I have 8 GB in total

You aren't the only user... you are the only human one but the PC has users called SYSTEM and others it needs to run windows for you. Its how the PC works.

look in the details tab in task manager and sort by username, you soon see you not only one

that screen just doesn't show that info. The additional usage likely used by PC to keep it working for you.

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe). It likely shows too much info but it will show the other users on PC

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems.

I don't know what you're using to produce those numbers - I normally use Task Manager which all Windows 10 systems have built in

the two screens op is looking at in 1st post is:
  1. The Users tab in Task manager
  2. The System Information control panel
not sure how he got last one

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS