Windows 10 is sooo buggy for me

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
so basically after i have updated to windows 10 I have been having so many problems
1. the search box doesn't work.
2. cortana doesn't work either.
3. I can't update I get this error:
"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x8007042c)"
4. Windows defender is not working.
5. I tried updating windows thru ESET antivirus but still doesn't work it just redirects me to the settings menu.

I have all of these problems, a reset would probably fix those idk but I have a lot of stuff and I do NOT want to reset or go back to factory reset (Windows 8)

btw microsoft edge is not working either (connection problems) and wifi is always (limited) BUT works sometimes disconnects randomly

Pr0tEN

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Revert to Windows 7,Windows 10's code is worse than Vista's code.
Windows 10 is buggy and unstable,With clean install of Windows 10 I spent more time fixing errors than using it.

oh no not 10!!!

its the greatest best everyone loves OS.. just ask toms guys

-0- issues its so good Microsoft has to fool/trick/ strong arm folks on to it cause no one wants it off its own merits oh and don't forget proprietary more the any OS before it and data collecting built in ad ware pretty much you do as Microsoft feel they want not do as you want or need , they decide for you on whats best for you and your needs ..

lest face it if it was not for gaming Linux covers the rest better anymore out side of playing games who needs windows anymore ?? that's about all Microsoft got going for it today and I see where 10 can now fail at that as well

think .... Microsoft + free + fool/trick/ strong arm = tells me somthings up and avoid at all costs

ya its called do a fresh clean install of any OS

upgrading is for the birds as you see you ruined your old OS and now you see the ''replacement/upgrade OS is not working as you expect if at all

now you maybe out 2 OS's with no easy way to recover your old or stuck with a goofed new .. [opinion]

Microsoft got it all figured out

Colif

Win 11 Master
this thread so full of negatives... second poster has best idea, fresh install win after an upgrade as its best way to fix all the errors. Don't roll backwards. Win 10 is fine on 90% of all systems.

Download win 10 installer from here and make your own win install disc. naturally back up anything you want to keep first...

Win 10 media creation tool

run that and make USB or DVD.

You don't need licence key if win 10 is currently activated, it should auto activate when you reinstall it. just select "I don't have a key" on screen where it asks for one.

This post of yours is not helping the OP at all. It's just another one of your Windows 10 hate posts. I really think you should leave your personal opinion out of the matter and rather assist the OP or just save your ranting for articles and general discussion threads.

Settle down, please.

Win10 has issues for some, but happens to be working well for me, on multiple disparate systems. Most of the privacy concerns can be addressed by making appropriate choices during setup, and checking privacy settings once it is up and running. Google is friendly on the topic of making these changes.
I agree that a clean install is probably your best option.

So helpful this one is.

OP, there is one solution that I have seen that seems to work was going into "Add/Remove Windows Features" and unchecking the Powershell 2.0 and rebooting. Try that and see if it fixes your issues.

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

Doesn't fix anything :/

That trick helped me with issues 1 and 2 and not having the start menu work but it is not the same for all.

I am not sure on issue 3, you could try running the tweaking.com AiO Windows repair tool and see if that kicks Windows Update back in.

As for 4 I am pretty sure that Windows Defender is disabled because you have a third party AV installed. ESET will not be able to force Windows update to install if Windows update is broken.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Try that and see if it helps. I highly suggest following all the steps, except you don't need to scan for viruses but it is recommended.

thing is with a upgrade you don't have a disk to do a reinstall or repair anything could get corrupted during the ''swap'' of all them windows file or just a glitch in the download or internet ?

upgrading is for the birds for all them reasons +

if you wanted to use / try 10 you should of got a hard drive and a retail disk and with that your old OS would be still intact and something to fall back on [that's now also gone ] as I said your now out 2 os's

thing is say you cant revcover or resolve your 10 issues and find you have more issues rolling back to your old OS you aint got a leg to stand on

this is why you see us saying do a clean fresh install from a retail disk on its own hard drive

now you never posted your system specs to see if something is unsupported or what ever a case may be in that dept.

''and I do NOT want to reset or go back to factory reset (Windows 8)''

were you having all these issue with 8 ?? or did it work as expected and stable ? its not I hate 10 I just know better then to use it and you now see one reason why don't let these guys fool you theres so many find it was a mistake to upgrade , many.

its just a poor end user OS and mostly all about microsofts needs just there tactics over it tells you that

maybe try /download a windows 10 iso and reinstall it clean if you can use what ever key you got going now ? may of just got a botched / corrupted install /download or you got some kind of compatibility issue ?

thing is that upgrade got you stuck you working old os is gone and this new so called os aint working

if me I would reinstall 8 from your retail disk and key get it back you know it worked more ''proper'' that's if the key is now not tied to 10 and you cant ?? you see the help you did get was fresh clean install from all or revert back to or suffer some and see if any 10 updates add fixes you have not got yet ??

sorry and good luck

How in the world is this remotely helpful to the OP? What is your problem with "these guys"? We are here trying to help and you keep taking shots at people in very subtle ways and I am tired of it.

We get it, you don't like 10. That is great. However you are doing nothing to help but telling the guy to do what he does not want to do.

I have no idea what problem you have with us but it needs to stop.

all I see is you bashing me ??

I stated do a clen install cause with the upgrade and the downloading of it anything can go wrong bad file bad connection corruption in any way in the system change over form the old os to the new like registry errors - hard drive write /read fault hardware compatibility driver compatibility ect...

his upgrade experience may of just been botched .

wheres your help or too busy bashing me ??

'However you are doing nothing to help but telling the guy to do what he does not want to do''

that's life when things go wrong , right ?? some times you got to do thing you don't want to but you got to do something to get things back on the right track , gosh I mean ..

If it is freezing at a Check Disk then there might be more to the problem than just software. I wonder if you have a failing HDD.

Not something I would want to contemplate but a Check Disk shouldn't take too long unless you set it to scan all sectors and try to repair failing sectors. Even then it should only take a couple of hours for most drives unless you have a very large drive.

I would give it a bit more time. If it stays like that for another hour, as in not changing from 22%, do a hard power off then I would highly suggest running a HDD test like Seatools or WD HDD Diagnostic utility.

I have to say I haven't seen this kind of problems with Windows 10. I have the insider preview (build 14342) Pro version on 2 desktops and the RTM Home version on my laptop, and have installed the 10 Pro version on 9 desktops I support. Next week I'm going to upgrade the remaining 18 desktops I support from 7 to 10 Pro.
I did install virtualization running XP just to see if it would work, and it did except there was no support for USB. That was over a year ago, so I don't know if that's changed since then.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Depends on the age of the machine, and how much attention you pay to driver update through the years. Upgrading an old machine that has had Win 7 on it for 6 or so years can lead to complications. though once again that depends on how much pc is used too. My mums pc is 7 years old and has an IDE hdd and yet it works on Win 10. I ran driver booster on it a few weeks ago and found 18 driver updates for it... not sure they helped a lot as if some parts died it wouldn't be worth replacing them. I suspect a lot of people never bothered to change their drivers once they had working ones. Graphics drivers being the one exception.

MY last pc was 9 years old by time i upgraded. I never bothered to upgrade any drivers as it was so old I figured new drivers wouldn't helpit. Now I know they supported it all way to Win 8.1 so I should have got new motherboard drivers longer than I did. But noob me didn't even know what motherboard drivers were back then. I did know to avoid bios or registry though. I wasn't that much of a noob.

Microsoft sold Win 10 being usable on all PC around same time they killed the ranking system off that may have shown a lot of computers really weren't ready for win 10, just to get more people to jump away from win 7. There are some people around who would have been better staying on win 7, only as their pc no longer has driver support. That and games you p[lay don't work on later OS, is only logical reason to stay on Win 7 now.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I have Windows 10 on 5 machines around me, and it is only buggy on one, the one I upgraded. (No choice, name brand laptop with hardware not supported directly by the OS, and the drivers for some parts would not install on Windows 10, only under Windows 7.) On the machines where I did a fresh install, Windows 10 is great. I advise a fresh install.

If you got this from a fresh install, I suggest another fresh install. After 19 years in IT, 10 of those in desktop support, I have seen a small fraction of installs fail to properly unpack some files, causing serious problems with the OS in unexpected ways. In one case, the installer service failed to work. I could not install anything, but it wouldn't outright fail, either. The installers just kind of hung once the initial input portion of the program completed. They wouldn't show as hung, but they wouldn't go anywhere. I wiped the machine and reinstalled, and it came up just fine. The installer isn't perfect, and sometimes things get messed up for no apparent reason. (I believe it might be a power fluctuation, an instance of EM interference, or other temporary hardware issue.) A reinstall usually fixes that sort of thing. If you want to prevent it completely, buy a Xeon workstation with ECC memory.

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I finished the scans and everything and then it repaired and after the restart everything is fixed but... Windows update is still not working its not the same error code tho
"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80240fff)"

and windows defender is still turned off tho I think that's just my antivirus.
Thank you all so much! :D

Glad most of it is working but lets focus on the Windows Updates now. We want those working properly.

The error code seems to affect different types of updates differently.

What I would suggest is running another SFC /scannow in the command prompt. If it finds issues, reboot the system and then run it again. Basically it is best to run a SFC scan until it comes up with nothing was found.

Try this:

Follow the below steps

Press Windows + X and select Control panel.

In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.

Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Updates.

Method 2: If you receive Windows Update error 80240fff, you might need to restart Background Intelligent Transfer Services.

Follow the below steps:

Press Windows key + R key, and type services.msc in the text box.

Locate Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) from the list.

Right-click the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service, and then click Properties.

On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic (Delayed Start) is selected. If it isn't, select it, and then click Apply.

Next to Service status, check to see if the service is started. If it isn't, click Start.

Try the Windows Update troubleshooter:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

You can also try to stop the Windows Update service and delete the Distribution folder to see if that kicks it back into working order:

-->Restart your computer, and boot it up in safe mode

-->Open Up CMD as an Admin

-->net stop wuauserv

-->net stop cryptsvc

C:\Windows

Find SoftwareDistribution

->Delete or Rename this folder

On CMD :

-->net start wuauserv

-->net start cryptsvc

-->Restart your computer.

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

These didn't work so I contacted microsoft and they linked me to a download page of the media recreation tool and well now am downloading windows 10 again https://gyazo.com/6ba6f9005792d14c2ab1bcc454ad68a7
its just a window, and that should fix it without removing any files or apps.
Don't know if that will work or not, yet.