Windows 10 ISO Install HELP

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Hello,
I am going to buy new pc parts (Mobo,Ram,CPU) and i saw that i must format my system when the new parts are installed.I got from microsoft tool a windows 10 iso...so will i be able to install windows 10 ? I am asking this because microsoft announced that windows 10 upgrade will be free until 29 July.

Solution
as above, if you have a win 10 license already and it is linked to your MS account then it will likely move to your new build. otherwise you'll need to buy it for the new build.

if you have the license for it, then you just boot to the installer and let it install like windows always has. create a usb or dvd of the iso and it'll install to the new build easily. then you can run the activator helper in windows to move the license to your new build from the old one.

at least this is how it is supposed to work.

rgd1101

Don't
From USAFRet on 1 of his post
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

So, the Anniversary release is out, and many people have updated their machines.

Interesting changes with activation and hardware changes.
Specifically, the Activation troubleshooter:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20527/windows-...
--------------------------------------------------------------
The following are some problems that the troubleshooter may fix:

You recently made a significant hardware change

If you recently made a significant hardware change to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows might no longer be activated on your device.

If you linked your Microsoft account to your Windows 10 digital license on the device before you make the hardware change, you can reactivate Windows using your sign in info:

In the troubleshooter, select I changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.
Enter your Microsoft account and password, and then select Sign in. You’ll also need to enter the password for your local account if the Microsoft account you entered isn’t a connected account.
From the list of devices that are linked to your Microsoft account, select the device that you’re currently using, select the check box next to This is the device I’m using right now, and then select Activate.

If you don’t see the device you’re using in the list of results, make sure that you’re signed in using the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license on your device.
----------------------------------------------------------------

So, it would seem that the license is no longer tied to the motherboard or other hardware, but to your MS account.
Upgrade to the anniversary release, link the install to a MS account, and change hardware as needed.
I have not tried this, but the above text seems to indicate that hardware changes are no longer a real issue.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
as above, if you have a win 10 license already and it is linked to your MS account then it will likely move to your new build. otherwise you'll need to buy it for the new build.

if you have the license for it, then you just boot to the installer and let it install like windows always has. create a usb or dvd of the iso and it'll install to the new build easily. then you can run the activator helper in windows to move the license to your new build from the old one.

at least this is how it is supposed to work.

Solution