Question Windows 10 issue or some other issue with HP Laptop ?

Jun 26, 2022
Hi everyone,

I am not sure where to post this so that someone might offer insight. My girlfriend and I were using her HP laptop to watch a movie on Amazon Prime using Firefox.
Windows had been running all day as she uses the laptop for work. In fact, she used the laptop to finish some DuoLingo prior to us deciding to watch a movie.
As we were setting up the laptop and connecting it to the TV via an HDMI cable, the screen suddenly went to black and showed a "boot device not found" error on a black screen.
There was no audio prompt, no prior blue screen, or anything else. We were just using the laptop and it immediately went to the black screen as if we had booted the laptop and the bios could not find the boot drive.

I checked windows for errors via sfc/scannow. It said it found some errors and repaired them. I also ran chckdsk, but that showed no bad sectors.

I checked msconfig to see what may be booting up and running. There wasn't much extra. I did, however, uninstall AVG that she had on the system. After exiting msconfig and clearing out some temporary files, I restarted the system.

Windows booted easily but showed the windows start-up screen as if she were installing and running windows for the first time. She had to log into her account again and windows booted as it had been normally with all of her files and programs intact.

Has anyone had a system do this to you after Windows had already booted rather than during boot up as it is posting? I have seen this as a computer is posting when the bios can't find the correct boot disk, but I have never seen this happen randomly when a PC is running.

Perhaps the SSD is loose and not seated correctly somehow? I am not sure what possible situations could cause this.

Any help would be appreciated.

HP - 14" Laptop

Specs:
AMD A9-Series - 3.1 gigahertz
4GB DDR4 SDRAM 1866 megahertz
AMD Radeon R5 Graphics -
128GB Solid State Drive PCIe
Windows 10 Home in S mode
1366 x 768 (HD)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

HP have a number of 14" SKU's, what model is the HP laptop that you're working with? Use CPU-Z to see what your laptop's current BIOS version is. Then use the serial number on the bottom of the laptop to help narrow down a support page, using H's support portal. As for your OS, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with?

I would advise you to back up any and/or all critical dat off of the laptop onto a removable storage device. What you've mentioned above seems to be akin to a corrupt OS or rather that the OS went into recovery/reset mode. I'd advise reinstalling your OS once you've made sure you've moved all important content off of the laptop's drive.

Jun 26, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

HP have a number of 14" SKU's, what model is the HP laptop that you're working with? Use CPU-Z to see what your laptop's current BIOS version is. Then use the serial number on the bottom of the laptop to help narrow down a support page, using H's support portal. As for your OS, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with?

I would advise you to back up any and/or all critical dat off of the laptop onto a removable storage device. What you've mentioned above seems to be akin to a corrupt OS or rather that the OS went into recovery/reset mode. I'd advise reinstalling your OS once you've made sure you've moved all important content off of the laptop's drive.

Thank you. She's been on vacation so I haven't had a chance to check the laptop more, but I will today/this weekend. I am not sure what OS version it is as I didn't think to check that the last time I was looking at it. I did, however, ask her what the laptop came with just to see if HP includes anything for recovery. It's been a long ass time since I purchased an out-of-the-box system - we are talking Packard Bell and Compaq desktops. I used to have a Compaq laptop but that was 2009 maybe? I don't generally purchase laptops as I don't like them, but I kind of want one for myself.

My point in that digression was because I know companies used to give you something to recover your OS if needed. Those days are long gone, so asking her was just me shooting in the dark for options she may have. I can just buy a new version of Windows and install it.

The SKU and model are if this helps you:
Model: 14-DK0002DX
SKU: 6352587

Thanks for the advice. May I ask how the SKU and/or model help you troubleshoot?

Windows still provides a way to download the ISO so you can burn to a disk or load to a bootable USB drive to reinstall the OS and the HP website would provide the drivers needed. If the system originally came with recovery media, you can try to contact HP directly, but from my experience in the last year or two, getting replacement recovery media isn't easy because it no longer really exists.

Jun 26, 2022
Windows still provides a way to download the ISO so you can burn to a disk or load to a bootable USB drive to reinstall the OS and the HP website would provide the drivers needed. If the system originally came with recovery media, you can try to contact HP directly, but from my experience in the last year or two, getting replacement recovery media isn't easy because it no longer really exists.

Yeah, there is no recovery media that came with it. I would need to check downloads on HP's website if they have those.