[SOLVED] Windows 10 issue with sound

Hello,
A friend of mine has issue with sound on windows 10, long story short he is experiencing that he had an BSOD of driver not less or equal with ntoskrnl.exe
But weird thing is, there is no X on his sound icon, its normal, but I cannot play test tone, cannot change the sound quality like 24bit 44000hz its stuck to DVD quality.

Also he said that when happened before sound issue his BSOD windows fixed but then sound drivers went kaput.

He tried soo far,
Reseting windows with keeping files,
Reinstalling drivers,
Force restarting service,
Front and back panel with headphones,

One weird thing is that he is using HDMI cable to monitor which has no speakers output but his GPU recognizes that is sound device output.

I've looked and saw that it happened cause of Windows store issue, that was his bsod error.
He is using windows with no key soo its a free version lets say.

He has option to update to the latest 1909 ready to download.

Specs,
I5-3570
H61M-E
SSD 500GB?
PSU?

Solution
running off the hidden admin could be cause, it doesn't have as much access as a normal user - it can't access settings. I would have thought making a new user would fix that though.

since he isn't on 1909, I won't offer the more advanced form of dism or suggest a repair install as both need 1909 to work (unless you happen to have an iso of the installed version he is running)

could update to win 10 1909 using an installer USB but better off fresh installing it. your reset where you kept files/settings also kept the users as is.

We all make mistakes with sentences, I often start one and think of something else and never end it. Edit is my friend :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
is he still getting BSOD?

Can you ask him to follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Also he said that when happened before sound issue his BSOD windows fixed but then sound drivers went kaput.
slaps Sith with a dictionary... can you explain this sentence :)

IRQ error with ntoskrnl is like saying water is wet. 90% of irq errors blame ntoskrnl as its the windows kernel and every driver transaction is handled by it.

Does he have newest bios (I know, its not a new board)

Have a look in DXDiag and see what it shows as sound devices. I mean, you can also check control panel or settings/system/sound

Could get him to run speccy to see stats if you not sure. It won't show PSU though.

I assume he hasn't used any 3rd party driver updaters as they really good at installing the wrong drivers.

Soo about that my sentence, yes my english is kinda rusty.
Before all it worked fine, until he got BSOD of the Microsoft store (I've checked that code and it points out to microsoft store).
Then he went into repair and fixed it, but after repair was done he lost sound.

Another problem might arise as he bought the PC the account was set to default windows hidden admin one, soo that may have kinda F up his windows. Lucky he doesnt have important stuff.
Tried with making another account, but its same story.

Yes, I've checked sound drivers, reinstalled, refreshed windows (The restore which removes apps not documents), installed chipset drivers.

He will later reinstall windows completely (Formatting) and see if that was culprit of the bad windows.

I've tried DISM, but no luck.

Also failed to mention, when i type Recovery into start, the recovery would pop out long error which seems like some components for windows are missing, I do not know what he was doing since he's a kid.
His CPU is overheating, which isnt fine by me. I've said that to him, he responded with after he fixes the sound issue.

Cannot update to 1909 since the windows doesnt detect he's using network.

Colif

Win 11 Master
running off the hidden admin could be cause, it doesn't have as much access as a normal user - it can't access settings. I would have thought making a new user would fix that though.

since he isn't on 1909, I won't offer the more advanced form of dism or suggest a repair install as both need 1909 to work (unless you happen to have an iso of the installed version he is running)

could update to win 10 1909 using an installer USB but better off fresh installing it. your reset where you kept files/settings also kept the users as is.

We all make mistakes with sentences, I often start one and think of something else and never end it. Edit is my friend :)

Solution