Question Windows 10, keeps bluescreening/failing with 2 memory sticks

biroman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
I've had problems with computer not starting properly with 2 memory sticks inside, I tried switching slots and stuff. Found out with 1 memory stick it worked fine.

I have no clue on what it could be, is it the motherboard?

Because with 1 memory stick the computer runs totally fine, bought new sticks also with same problem.

I've had problems with computer not starting properly with 2 memory sticks inside, I tried switching slots and stuff. Found out with 1 memory stick it worked fine.

I have no clue on what it could be, is it the motherboard?

Because with 1 memory stick the computer runs totally fine, bought new sticks also with same problem.
Complete list of PC's parts please, including RAM details.

biroman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Complete list of PC's parts please, including RAM details.
I think I fixed the problem not completely sure. They may have been sitting in wrong RAM slots, but would that give bluescreens and also some times let the pc work normally?

RTX3080 GPU
i9-10900k CPU
DDR4 2x16 GB ram 3200MHz - Corsair
ASUS PRIME Z490-A Motherboard

You might want to clear CMOS, and default your settings to factory defaults, which will likely select 2133 or so MHz, and, test each stick for stability with Memtest86 bootable flash drive just to rule out any 'obviously faulty' sticks.

Having RAM in not optimal slots will just prevent running dual channel, it should not induce blue screens...

Whatever speed you are running your RAM at, you should check manufacturer to see what RAM voltage is recommended or required for stability at that speed. (Not all RAM kits will be necessarily be stable to some desired XMP speeds at every mainboards default RAM voltage...; some kits are spec'd at higher than 1.2V as needed for certain speeds/timings)...

Certainly, a bad RAM slot on mainboard (be that caused by actual RAM slot or bad/bent pin in mainboard socket) can cause your issues...

Using known good RAM from a certified kit is a good start.... (vice two random sticks bought from -ebay separately, etc..)

Reactions: CountMike

biroman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
You might want to clear CMOS, and default your settings to factory defaults, which will likely select 2133 or so MHz, and, test each stick for stability with Memtest86 bootable flash drive just to rule out any 'obviously faulty' sticks.

Having RAM in not optimal slots will just prevent running dual channel, it should not induce blue screens...

Whatever speed you are running your RAM at, you should check manufacturer to see what RAM voltage is recommended or required for stability at that speed. (Not all RAM kits will be necessarily be stable to some desired XMP speeds at every mainboards default RAM voltage...; some kits are spec'd at higher than 1.2V as needed for certain speeds/timings)...

Certainly, a bad RAM slot on mainboard (be that caused by actual RAM slot or bad/bent pin in mainboard socket) can cause your issues...

Using known good RAM from a certified kit is a good start.... (vice two random sticks bought from -ebay separately, etc..)
Thanks for answer! For the moment, I've only tried switching both memory sticks to two new slots, and so far there has been no crashes or bluescreens.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS