Question Windows 10 keeps forcing my HDMI TV speakers to 5.1 causing low audio and extremely quiet voices behind me in games

ribasmudj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
I'm referring to the taskbar right-click on the sound menu and the playback tab, "speaker setup". It always defaults back to 5.1 instead of the stereo setting, and it does it whenever I launch a game or change the refresh rate, or anything that forces the HDMI signal to "reset' for a second.

I'm only using a TV as a monitor and no external audio devices, so when it changes to 5.1 I get lower volume and I can't hear voices in games when characters are behind me for example. Is there a way to force it to stay on stereo and remove 5.1 option completely? I don't even know why 5.1 is an option there, and trying to change it to stereo in the control panel/sound/playback also resets back all the time like the taskbar change.

sylas

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
It sounds like a seperate sound card driver is interfering, or changing output values. Try disabling all other sound cards within the playback and recording tabs, and also setting the TV as default. It could also be a setting on the TV itself...like PCM or Bitstream, or surround options in the TV menu.

ribasmudj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
It sounds like a seperate sound card driver is interfering, or changing output values. Try disabling all other sound cards within the playback and recording tabs, and also setting the TV as default. It could also be a setting on the TV itself...like PCM or Bitstream, or surround options in the TV menu.

I have all the other speakers in the playback tab disabled if that's what you're referring to, only the TV is enabled and the default.

TRENDING THREADS