[SOLVED] Windows 10 keeps restarting everytime I turn on my PC following an update ?

JMusic7

Commendable
Mar 11, 2021
Everything was running fine today, except an issue I had with Cubase 11 which gave me an error but the program ran fine after I got back into it loading up a new save file. After I was done, I updated Windows and then shut down. Except, as it was running the update it gave me a blue screen with a sad face saying "your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you." I wait, and then it says "diagnosing your PC" on the Republic of Gamers startup screen. Then it shows a blue screen saying "automatic repair, your PC did not restart correctly". It gives me the option to restart or to go to advanced options. I have no idea what happened. Do I need to go into safe mode and configure something?

Solution
Except, as it was running the update it gave me a blue screen with a sad face saying "your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you." I wait, and then it says "diagnosing your PC" on the Republic of Gamers startup screen.

that is new, never seen a bsod during an update before. that isn't going to end up well. Updates not designed to be crashed during.

i don't know how good windows is going to be after that. I think you might need to reinstall windows again to make sure its all right.
We can try to get into safe mode and maybe fix it

Do you have a win 10 installer? its a handy boot drive if nothing else
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Except, as it was running the update it gave me a blue screen with a sad face saying "your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you." I wait, and then it says "diagnosing your PC" on the Republic of Gamers startup screen.

that is new, never seen a bsod during an update before. that isn't going to end up well. Updates not designed to be crashed during.

i don't know how good windows is going to be after that. I think you might need to reinstall windows again to make sure its all right.
We can try to get into safe mode and maybe fix it

Do you have a win 10 installer? its a handy boot drive if nothing else
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Now I will show you how to set PC up to get into safe mode at boot
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
this puts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.

(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:
BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY
EXIT

Shutdown the computer.
Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).
Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode.

Now IF you can get into safe mode
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

See if that can fix the damage but I have doubts
If you can get to safe mode I would copy anything off PC you want to save

If you can't get into safe mode, as windows is broken too much, I can still show you how to save any files off C drive
boot from installer

• on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd
Now if safe mode didn't work, and you have saved everything off PC you need to keep, I would do a clean install

boot from installer
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution

JMusic7

Commendable
Mar 11, 2021
I was able to get into the boot selection after pressing F8. It's now showing windows boot manager, which is my SSD and Enter Setup. Which of these should I go into? Thanks for the reply as well. Your help is appreciated.