Windows 10 keeps restoring to previous version when trying to update

Chipnchap

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Hey there !

I'm on build 16257.1 and everytime i try to update it starts out fine: Downloads updates > Restarts > installs updates, but at some point it just restarts again and it says it's restoring my previous version of windows. Does anyone know what's causing this or how to fix it ?

Thanks in advance !

Solution

That in theory should be fine, make...

Nick501

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

Check how much storage space you have left, Windows likes to create a Windows.old file when it does a major update and if you only have 80 GB or so of space left you could run into issues, also run a disk cleanup and remove all of the older system files that you don't need anymore.

Chipnchap

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015

I have 120 GB free should that be enough ? Also just did the disk cleanup sadly didn't help .

Nick501

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

That in theory should be fine, make sure that you're connected to the internet and your PC does not lose power during the upgrade process, in addition make sure that your Windows is activated.

Also try doing the upgrade process directly through Windows Update, don't touch the PC while it goes through this process. If the issue continues after that and having the latest version is important to you I would recommend backing your files up and doing a clean install of the newest version, which will be almost certain to work.

Nick501

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

That in theory should be fine, make sure that you're connected to the internet and your PC does not lose power during the upgrade process, in addition make sure that your Windows is activated.

Also try doing the upgrade process directly through Windows Update, don't touch the PC while it goes through this process. If the issue continues after that and having the latest version is important to you I would recommend backing your files up and doing a clean install of the newest version, which will be almost certain to work.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS