[SOLVED] Windows 10 Keeps Tabs Open After Restart or Shutdown

Feb 7, 2019
I have Windows 10. Whenever I "restart" or "shutdown" my computer and log back on, I am surprised to see that the same tabs I had open prior to the restart or shut down are still open. How is this happening?

I thought the purpose of restart or shutdown is to clear the computer's memory so I can start over. Thank you for your response.

Solution

That's how it should work. Unfortunately, Microsoft insisted on taking away your ability to control updates to Windows 8/10. As a result, the computer will often reboot on its own after an update. People complained that they were losing work during these automatic reboots. What you're seeing is Microsoft's "solution" to those complaints. Windows tries to put the computer back to its pre-reboot state after a reboot. Including starting up all apps and browsers and tabs that were running before the reboot.

If you don't like this behavior, you can turn it off...

That's how it should work. Unfortunately, Microsoft insisted on taking away your ability to control updates to Windows 8/10. As a result, the computer will often reboot on its own after an update. People complained that they were losing work during these automatic reboots. What you're seeing is Microsoft's "solution" to those complaints. Windows tries to put the computer back to its pre-reboot state after a reboot. Including starting up all apps and browsers and tabs that were running before the reboot.

If you don't like this behavior, you can turn it off:

https://superuser.com/questions/1229963/windows-10-disable-reopening-programs-after-restart-startup

You can also set Windows Update to not reboot automatically. It will instead notify you when it needs to reboot to finish an update. Note that I haven't found this to be very reliable - I set it to notify me but it still occasionally reboots on its own.

https://www.faqforge.com/windows/windows-10/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-rebooting-after-updates/

I can also tell you that private/incognito browser tabs do not reopen after a reboot. Which makes these automatic reboots really annoying for me since I almost always browse in incognito mode.

Solution