Question Windows 10 Key Recovery Question

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Is there a utility out there that will allow you to extract your Windows 10 Home OEM key ? I have misplaced the OEM disk that bought back in 2020. My Operating System needs to be reinstalled and the Recovery image is gone.

Lutfij

Titan
If you installed the OS onto the motherboard you're working with at this moment of time, it should be affixed to your board(or the account you registered it with). You merely need to recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and then proceed with OS reinstallation.

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
If you installed the OS onto the motherboard you're working with at this moment of time, it should be affixed to your board(or the account you registered it with). You merely need to recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and then proceed with OS reinstallation.
I have misplaced my Original Disk. Can I download a "zipped" version of Win 10 Home from Microsoft? If yes, can you provide a URL? If not from there, is there another vendor?

The Windows Media Creation Tools are a means to transform the file to an ISO format, right?

Lutfij

Titan
You can find the app that fabricates your installer off of Microsoft's site, here. You might want to avoid using the ISO and a third party app to fabricate your installer, there are instances of people not knowing what to do and then end up blaming the OS or their parts for a bad experience. Windows Media Creation Tools takes care of all the guess work, just click on next and follow through. Make sure you have a pen drive that's more than 8GB of space.

Last edited:

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
I have downloaded the MediaCreate Tool twice and tried {2)different Thumbdrives both of which exceed 8 GB. I also have saved the Windows 10 ISO on my Desktop. Can I extract the files from the ISO on my Desktop using Peazip to a blank DvD in my portable DvD Rom? When it comes time to do the reinstall, do you eed to change the boot order in the BIOS?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
You have to download the Media Creation Tool (it's a .exe file) and run it while logged in as an Administrator user.

It will give you the option to create an iso or write to a USB stick, which will be bootable.

Then reboot the computer, and when it just starts to power up, hit the key to go to the boot menu (usually F12 or F11). If your PC doesn't have such an option, then you'll have to go into the BIOS (sometimes called SETUP), and then change the boot order so it will not from the USB stick before trying to boot from your primary drive.

TRENDING THREADS