Question windows 10 key reseller

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Im going to have to get a new windows 10 key , due to changing my motherboard, can anyone suggest alegit windows 10 key reseller, I really dont wanna pay a ton for windows , but hard to trust a lot of the sites online lol.. so if you have any suggestions..

USAFRet

Titan
Im going to have to get a new windows 10 key , due to changing my motherboard, can anyone suggest alegit windows 10 key reseller, I really dont wanna pay a ton for windows , but hard to trust a lot of the sites online lol.. so if you have any suggestions..
  1. There are no legit 'key resellers'. Windows costs what it costs.
  2. What leads you to believe that you automatically need a new OS license?
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well I figure I will where my windows was pre installed on the machine I'm replacing the mother board in and Its a OEM version. and I just didnt want to have to pay like 150$ for it . I suppose I can just run it unactivated. I just thought maybe there was cheaper ways to get a key. I have heard many people say they got a key cheap from resellers, but I never trust that stuff lol.. so just thought Id ask

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
If the old system is Windows 10, Microsoft will let you move an activation key (after jumping through a few hoops) IF you had it attached to a Microsoft account. If it the old system was still on Windows 7, you can use the 7 coa for a fresh install of 10.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I was kinda thinking that too .. I have a windows 7 key and disk , I could install that ( if windows 10 dont work) and I know then I should be able to upgrade to windows 10 , because ive done it before with a different PC . but my key is also linked to my MS account so maybe (with luck) I can do the change and it will just activate , worse case I guess its just another 150$ to new build...

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
I mean Microsoft will activate Windows 10 using a Windows 7 key on a fresh install key if it wasn't already used for 10. Which is what the re sellers are doing, selling Windows 7 keys from recycled/scrapped systems.

Last edited:

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
It's a bit of a "gray area" technically Windows allows you to reuse a key if you upgrade or have to rebuild but you are supposed to be using at least some parts of the old system and it's supposed to be the same end user, the resellers get by because for Windows 7 they didn't track hardware.