[SOLVED] Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts Gone

SNS989

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2015
The usual windows 10 shortcuts (Alt+Tab, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+Insert/Shift+Insert, etc.) stopped working.
Keyboard is a Logitech K850 wireless keyboard/mouse combo.
All shortcuts used to work on both my desktop and Thinkpad laptop.
All shortcuts still work on both computers if I substitute an old Microsoft keyboard.

Details:
Both Alt+Tab (Right Alt+Tab & Left Alt+Tab) keys do not cycle through open programs. Instead they display the taskview desktop.

Right Ctrl+Tab does cycle through open programs as both Alt+Tab keys should.
Right Ctrl key appears to function as the Alt keys used to function (for all Microsoft Office program shortcuts). For example, in Excel, Alt+W, F, F would freeze the panes. Now Right Ctrl+W, F, F does the same.
Left Ctrl+W brings up the Windows Pen/Snip it whiteboard or tool pane.
Copy/Paste shortcuts (Ctrl+Insert/Shift+Insert) no longer work using either Ctrl key.
Left Ctrl+C/V for copy/paste both work, as does the left Ctrl+Arrow keys for quick navigation through word documents.

I tried resetting the keyboard as well as updating the Logitech firmware. I followed all troubleshooting steps required by Logitech support. Nothing helped and Logitech said it is a computer BIOS problem. For fun I reinstalled the keyboard drivers. I also added an AltTabSettings registry entry set to "1". Nothing worked.
Remember the same problem is on two different computers, and the shortcuts work when using a Microsoft keyboard.

Somehow I think the keyboard is remapped to an alternate set of keys, but I can't figure out how to restore the default.
Any suggestions?

Solution
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

There is a reset button on the back of the keyboard. To reset, hold the button down for 10 seconds.
could see if that helps.

I wonder if its the Logitech options software.
i see it uses https://www.logitech.com/en-us/software/options.html - it says it does keyboards.

I know its 2 PC but its possibly...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

There is a reset button on the back of the keyboard. To reset, hold the button down for 10 seconds.
could see if that helps.

I wonder if its the Logitech options software.
i see it uses https://www.logitech.com/en-us/software/options.html - it says it does keyboards.

I know its 2 PC but its possibly still a software conflict or something since it works fine with other KB

Solution

SNS989

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2015
Thank you for your quick reply.
I did try a clean/vanilla boot previously on both computers.
Logitech support walked me through installing and using the Logitech Options, but this didn't work either.
Logitech also had me "reset" the keyboard by turning it off, then back on while holding the Escape key. This too did not work.

However, after you suggested resetting, I could not find a reset button on the keyboard itself. I did another Google search and found an obscure note to try the following:
Press Escape+"o" (lowercase o); Press Escape + "o" (lowercase o) again. Press Escape + "b" (lowercase b).
The red battery warning LED came on, then the 1st pair key started flashing.
I then launched Logitech Unifying Software and re-pared the keyboad.
Now it works.

Thank you.

Reactions: Colif