Windows 10 KEYS

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
How exactly will this work does anyone knows ?

Lets say I have 3 PCs in my home. All 3 belong to my Microsoft Account. I have Windows Insider so one of the PCs I have installed Windows 10 Technical Preview. In my understanding I'll be able to get RTM and fully activated version. Other two are Windows 7 and brand new 8.1 system. On both I have a little icon with update notification saying my copy of Windows 10 is reserved but how exactly will it work. I NEVER do updates I do only clean installs, I hate and will never do update procidure, like ever. Where do I get my own key, not technical preview one for all key but my own ? Also Windows 10 for all Windows 7 and Windows 8 PCs are "UPDATES" or "updates AND clean install" as well.

Does anyone know ?

Thank you !

Solution
From the FAQ:

What if I have more than one Windows device—can I upgrade them all?

Yes, you can get a free upgrade for each of your eligible Windows devices. All you need to do is make a separate reservation for each device you want to upgrade.
--------------------------------------------------------
For your machine that is on the Insider program...yes, it will roll over to the final release version.
However, to continue using it, you must remain a participant in the Insider program. With all the weirdness that may entail.

Update vs clean install
From everything I've read, you'll have to do the Upgrade first, then obtain the relevant ISO file. Use that to do a clean install.

Again, from the FAQ:
Can I reinstall Windows 10...

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

Thank you. So my Microsoft Account will act as activator ? Because Once I am at enter your key window, what do I put in ? Microsoft already disabled all Technical Preview keys, so all new installations wont work. I really wondering what are the procedure for clean install for people with upgrades and insiders. Cause I'll be doing both.

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
"I have installed Windows 10 Technical Preview. In my understanding I'll be able to get RTM and fully activated version"

for the Windows 7 and 8.1 builds, yes, but for the Windows 10 build, no you will need a third Windows 7+ license for it

"Also Windows 10 for all Windows 7 and Windows 8 PCs are "UPDATES" or "updates AND clean install" as well."

they will arrive as "UPDATES" but you can clean reinstall

Windows 10 will arrive to the Windows 7 and 8.1 builds from Windows update, for the Windows 10 build, you will receive the final RTM from build update in PC Settings
after upgrading you can always perform a clean install, MS confirmed that you will always be able to clean reinstall Windows 10 using your Windows 7+ license

your MS account will work as an activator if you decided to continue in the Windows Insider program, but you will have to download and install a new build every when and then

I hope that my answer is helpful for you

USAFRet

Titan
From the FAQ:

What if I have more than one Windows device—can I upgrade them all?

Yes, you can get a free upgrade for each of your eligible Windows devices. All you need to do is make a separate reservation for each device you want to upgrade.
--------------------------------------------------------
For your machine that is on the Insider program...yes, it will roll over to the final release version.
However, to continue using it, you must remain a participant in the Insider program. With all the weirdness that may entail.

Update vs clean install
From everything I've read, you'll have to do the Upgrade first, then obtain the relevant ISO file. Use that to do a clean install.

Again, from the FAQ:
Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Solution

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

Thank you very much ! Indeed I saw that FAQ and I am interested in the last part.

" .....including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again."

How ? In details. No key in installation I guess. It'll install and then will look for MSA or Hardware ID ? What if I upgraded RAM ? Or forgot password for my insider email.

I guess we'll see in few short days. I really can't wait. I had it before and had to come back to W8 because of some things that I use didn't work. On top of the Nvidia Drivers were not as good, But now everything seems to be just fine. ASUS updating all software for motherboard to Windows 10, Nvidia already have 2 certified drivers for Windows 10. We're on the roll.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Windows 10 keys for the upgrade are created while doing the upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1. Keys are also obtained by buying a new PC with Windows 10 pre-installed on the machine. Also for the XP, Apple and Linux users that want Windows can buy it either the retail or OEM versions.

Note: the WIndows 10 key is generatered on the free upgrade when the upgrade is done.