Windows 10 Language Bar Issue

Meltbrain

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2012
Hey Folks,

I've been using Windows 10 a good while now and I've seen this problem pop its head up repeatedly as I've used Windows 10. Basically, I have windows with one language pack which is the default (English UK) but every now and again, usually after a restart or two the language bar appears in the bottom right (displaying ENG) and when clicked it displays two languages- English UK and English US.

The weird part is I did not do this and upon checking the language settings there is no English US pack installed of any kind that I can uninstall.

Any ideas? I know this seems like a tiny problem to some people but it's been driving me cuckoo!

Thanks!

Hi,

Please do follow this guides that may help in solving that issue.
- First, click on the pop up about the Language of the PC then click on "Change language preferences.
- Once opened, click on Advanced settings on the left pane.
- Under "Switching input methods", remove the check on "Use the desktop language bar when it's available then click on Save.
- Once done with these steps do observe your PC again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

Meltbrain

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2012

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately the "Use the desktop language bar" box is already unchecked. The thing just appears when it decides that I have multiple languages when I do not.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its a feature, Windows 10 just likes having two languages. Choose another one you like and it might stop loading the US one. I tried to help someone recently from China who kept getting English US added even though they didn't want it

Another thought, do you have office installed? it might have wrong language installed in it, causing the changes. Might even be Edged or IE (not that anyone uses that one)

Meltbrain

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2012

Apparently it does! Much to my annoyance. I've tried installing all of the US language pack features and then uninstalling them, which has temporarily pacified the langauge gremlin. I would bet that in the next few time I restart my machine that the gremlin will demand another sacrifice.

Nope, no MSOffice installed though I do have Libre Office, though I think I have the UK language version.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have three, all English but one from UK, one from US & one from Australia. I made mistake of formatting PC with UK english, so I think US adds itself to almost everyone, its the default whether you want it or not.

Its not so bad, it doesn't set itself as default, just adds itself as a choice for keyboards as a vast majority of English speakers use US format keyboards,,, maybe thats why