Question Windows 10 Laptop with Strange behavior after 1809 upgrade

fxonly

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Hello Everyone,
Would like to share this with you and see what ideas and recommendations you have in mind.
Since I've upgraded to Windows 10 1809 (from 1803), my laptop started facing the following issues:
  1. When I restart the machine I get a blank screen instead of the login screen. I can see and move the mouse curser. I can see the HDD led blinking and the mouse cursor switching between loading and normal icons. but no matter how long I leave the screen, it does load the login screen.
  2. If I switch to safe mode, I can see the login screen and login without issues.
  3. If I restart from safe mode, the machine will be able to load the login screen and I can successfully log in.
  4. while I am able to log in and use my programs normally some programs are crashing such as Windows Security Console, Windows Store, OnScreen Keyboard.
  5. I tried tools such as SFC, DISM, CheckDisk, antivirus and malware scanners, but shows no problem.
  6. tried a repair upgrade (using windows 10 media to upgrade the same version while keeping files) but it fails!
  7. if I restart, I go back to point number 1 (black screen). but if I try step 2, I am back again.
  8. I have noticed that when I open the windows store while in safe mode, there is an indication that the app was actually updating while I was in the standard model.
I know a fresh install with data migration is an easier fix than finding the root cause. but I am a little bit stubborn and wanted to know what is happening here since it is my old machine I can keep testing on it to understand the problem more.

Hardware:
Model: MSI CX620 laptop
CPU: Intel i5-M430 2.27 GHz
Memory: 8 GB

Windows 10 1809 build 1763.316

"When I restart the machine I get a blank screen instead of the login screen."

I have an msi laptop which i rarely use but ... when I do ... it does this. I have to hit F11 as it is powering on and manually select the proper boot drive. That might be something for you to try?

Reactions: fxonly

fxonly

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
"When I restart the machine I get a blank screen instead of the login screen."

I have an msi laptop which i rarely use but ... when I do ... it does this. I have to hit F11 as it is powering on and manually select the proper boot drive. That might be something for you to try?
thanks, @robert600 , actually I get past the boot selection and see the loading circles of windows like this: https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-6183920-loading-circle-w-alpha-30fps-ten-animated
after that, I get the black screen and the cursor appears and you can tell it is busy loading something but nothing comes out of it. I go to safe mode and restart, I am good again. restart and I'm stuck again.

Last edited: