[SOLVED] Windows 10 laptop wont go past Getting Ready Devices screen

Dec 22, 2019
Hi! I have a friends HP av 003la 14 inch notebook, and she told me it suddenly stopped working. When I first booted up, I was the usual black screen where it says there is no booteable device. I plugged the hard drive on my main pc, retrieved her files, fully formatted the disk, fixed the partitions, and plugged it back in. (My main pc after I plugged the hard drive started acting funny, would not get past initial boot up when I plugged my secondary hard drive)
So I downloaded the media install in my main PC and created the USB.
When I wanted to boot up from it in the laptop, it wouldnt go past the HP logo and the rotating circle. I did some research, and I needed to disable the TPM.
Then, it would work fine, installation went through normal, but when it restarts, it goes through the usual loading screen, and when it says getting devices ready, it shuts off, then it starts the process again, but wont go past the rotating circle. I saw some other posts that they said that they had to remove their wifi card for some reason, and when I did it it went to 33% and the same thing happened. Then, I unplugged keyboard, mouse, card reader, and it went to 66%, same thing happened.
I dont have anything left to unplug except the screen, but I am pretty exhausted because installing Windows should be such an easy task
Thank for the help!

Last edited:
Solution
I almost got it. When you say " plugged the hard drive on my main pc, retrieved her files, fully formatted the disk, fixed the partitions, and plugged it back in." Do you mean you plugged the hdd into the laptop or somehow installed it as an external device? You then created an install USB from the MS Media creator; did you let the website create the install USB?

At this point it sounds like you are trying to install Windows 10 in the HP laptop. When installing windows in the laptop, are you letting the installer re-create the partition and formatting?

You may also want to check out this link to see if you are setting everything up right...
Could you rewrite your post so we know when your talking about your friends laptop or your main PC. You said, "So I downloaded the ISO file from Windows, and when I wanted to boot up from it, it wouldnt go past the HP logo and the rotating circle ." how did you utilize the ISO to create an install media

Reactions: BrandonRH00
Dec 22, 2019
Could you rewrite your post so we know when your talking about your friends laptop or your main PC. You said, "So I downloaded the ISO file from Windows, and when I wanted to boot up from it, it wouldnt go past the HP logo and the rotating circle ." how did you utilize the ISO to create an install media
I rewrote it!

I almost got it. When you say " plugged the hard drive on my main pc, retrieved her files, fully formatted the disk, fixed the partitions, and plugged it back in." Do you mean you plugged the hdd into the laptop or somehow installed it as an external device? You then created an install USB from the MS Media creator; did you let the website create the install USB?

At this point it sounds like you are trying to install Windows 10 in the HP laptop. When installing windows in the laptop, are you letting the installer re-create the partition and formatting?

You may also want to check out this link to see if you are setting everything up right. https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...es/10862177/model/12228987/document/c04876361

Last edited:
Solution