[SOLVED] Windows 10 latest version is horrible

Oct 5, 2020
Hi there, can someone please explain why the latest version of windows 10 runs bad?
i have a...not so decent but decent pc, specs here:
cpu: amd fx-6300 , oc at 4.0
gpu: asus r7 250 1gb gddr5
hdd: 1tb
ssd: no ssd, this might be a problem but still it should run smooth even without one
ram: 8gb ddr3
mb: asus m5a 78l-m lx

so yeah, i had to stick to win 7,win 8.1 or win 10 1709 for years because the latest versions run horribly, can i do something about it? and no, i dont have money for a ssd, i just bought a new cooler and a psu so im broke rn
thx in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I'm also concerned about the make and model of the PSU. Can you include it's age?

i just bought a new cooler and a psu so im broke rn
thx in advance

need to read again lutfi. He gave you some of it already... runs away :)

do you remove the OC when you install win 10 as that could be 1 reason. Helps to be at stock when installing.

no new drivers since win 8.1 could also be cause, and it only had 2 drivers... lan & audio, and only as Realtek support old hardware much longer. WIn 7 was best choice of drivers and many of those won't work on win 10 after a certain versions... could be 1709 in fact.

Its not MS, its hardware makers who stop...

Lutfij

Titan
When posting specs, please post them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Also, you should be on version 2004, soon to have another update upon us. You might want to see if you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard and yes you being on a platform like that is partly the reason why you think the OS is bad. An SSD would change the way the OS feels for you but that platform needs retiring.

I'm also concerned about the make and model of the PSU. Can you include it's age?

Colif

Win 11 Master

i just bought a new cooler and a psu so im broke rn
thx in advance

need to read again lutfi. He gave you some of it already... runs away :)

do you remove the OC when you install win 10 as that could be 1 reason. Helps to be at stock when installing.

no new drivers since win 8.1 could also be cause, and it only had 2 drivers... lan & audio, and only as Realtek support old hardware much longer. WIn 7 was best choice of drivers and many of those won't work on win 10 after a certain versions... could be 1709 in fact.

Its not MS, its hardware makers who stop supporting hardware.

Solution
Oct 5, 2020
When posting specs, please post them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Also, you should be on version 2004, soon to have another update upon us. You might want to see if you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard and yes you being on a platform like that is partly the reason why you think the OS is bad. An SSD would change the way the OS feels for you but that platform needs retiring.

Can you explain what a platform us, please? Also the psu is new, built in march 2020 i think, it has 500w and i dont remember the model of it tho

xrobwx71

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
Hi, @PukuMarcel
I would suggest an In-place upgrade. Sometimes, when Windows does a major update, things get glitched.
You can choose to keep your personal files and apps but have a clean, new install of the latest version of Windows 10. I have seen this clean out the trash and fix issues many times.

i have both an expensive games rig and a cheap rig that i use as a test bed , so i have a fast pc and a slow one.
Looking at your spec i would suspect that the reason your pc is running slow is because you only have 8gb ram. This amount of ram have to do everything.

What i would suggest is that you bring up task manager and in the performance tab and have a look at how much memory is in use whilst you are not actually doing anything.

Next , fire up a game or something else and use ctrl and escape keys to drop back to desktop , this will keep your game or whatever you were using still running. Now take another look at how much memory your pc is using and this will tell you if your 8gb ram is enough.

If you get more ram you must use the same MHz rating that you have now , i googled your mobo , it can take 16gb ram.

Reactions: xrobwx71
Oct 5, 2020
i have both an expensive games rig and a cheap rig that i use as a test bed , so i have a fast pc and a slow one.
Looking at your spec i would suspect that the reason your pc is running slow is because you only have 8gb ram. This amount of ram have to do everything.

What i would suggest is that you bring up task manager and in the performance tab and have a look at how much memory is in use whilst you are not actually doing anything.

Next , fire up a game or something else and use ctrl and escape keys to drop back to desktop , this will keep your game or whatever you were using still running. Now take another look at how much memory your pc is using and this will tell you if your 8gb ram is enough.

If you get more ram you must use the same MHz rating that you have now , i googled your mobo , it can take 16gb ram.
I will, rn im on win 10 1709, this one works rally smooth, as for the ram i dont know what mhz i have on my ram cards..i have 2x4gb. is the mhz written on them or can i check on the pc directly?

Honestly, it's hard to explain how Windows runs horribly when the only symptom described is "it's slow"

So let's go through some questions:
  • How exactly is it running slowly?
  • Did you do an upgrade from an older version or do a clean install?
  • Was it slow right after Windows was installed/upgraded or after you installed your suite of software?
  • Does Task Manager show any unusual activity like 100% CPU, RAM, or disk usage?
  • Have you tried resetting the computer's BIOS settings to its default?
8GB of RAM should be fine still. It's considered to be on the low end of the spectrum, but I don't think it's by any means a problem.

I got my snappy back after turning off windows defender.
I noticed that while downloading both defender and my anti virus were scanning all the files. I only need them scanned once so.........
and I agree with the OP windows 10 was less snappy that my windows 7.