Windows 10 License on more than one

kansas_dude

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
My sister's boyfriend bought a laptop at a garage sale (has Windows 7 but can run 10), I have a USB with Win 10 on it (bought a license for Pro online as brand new) that he wants to use but I don't know if you can install/activate Win 10 on more than 1 computer..can it be done?

Solution

That is a 100% maybe.

If this were before July 28 2016, absolute yes.
After July 28, 2016...maybe.

Of course, assuming they have not somehow reused that license on some other system completely.

USAFRet

Titan
1 license, 1 PC.

You can install and run the Win 10 unactivated, until he can buy his own license for it.

And a full wipe and install of a clean OS should be your very first move with any used system. You have no idea what the original owner, and his friends, and the owners before that had in there.
Wipe and reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan

Maybe.
The problem would be obtaining a WIn 7 install for that.
If you go to Microsoft.com, here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home

It will ask for the license key to download the ISO file. Being a laptop, it is almost certainly an OEM key. Microsoft will balk at that, and tell you to obtain it from the manufacturer.

Another possibility that "might" work is installing WIn 10, and activating it wit the WIn 7 license.
The theoretical free update ran out last year, but many people have reported it still works.

Or, just install 10 and use it unactivated. Accepting the small issues that brings.

Yes, assuming the previous owner has not used that key to install Win 7 on another computer. There is still a way to get the free upgrade from Win 7 to 10. Google Windows 10 Assistive Technology or Assistive Upgrade.

Edit: Oops, I forgot about the Win 7 OS on the laptop being OEM.

USAFRet

Titan

Use, for what, exactly?

Downloading the Win 7 ISO from Microsoft? No. Try it from the link I posted above.
Obtaining the Factory reset DVD from the manufacturer and installing with that key? Yes. This will cost a few $$
Installing and activating a brand new Win 10 install? Maybe.

Or....look in the actual drive on the laptop. The original Factory Reset partition may still exist.
Read the user manual for how to invoke that.
If it still exists, you can use that to create your own DVD set to do a full factory wipe and reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan

That is a 100% maybe.

If this were before July 28 2016, absolute yes.
After July 28, 2016...maybe.

Of course, assuming they have not somehow reused that license on some other system completely.

Solution