windows 10 "local area connection doesn't have a valid ip" internet error

itk91

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
just upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 and now i am not recognizing my Ethernet cable when i diagnose it says "local area connection doesn't have a valid ip" i have tried most of the windows 7 fix's with no avail. don't know what to do can any of you help

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
You've mentioned you've tried a few of the Windows 7 fixes. Would be remiss if I didn't ask about those here:
Have you uninstalled your network adapters, and reinstalled them?

Have you released and renewed your IP address? (quick directions below)
1. Press Windows Key + X and select “Command Prompt (admin)”.
2. Type ipconfig /release and hit Enter.
3. Then type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter.
4. Type Exit and hit Enter.

And lastly, have you taken a peek at the Windows 10 help page on the subject? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-why-cant-i-get-connected

Might also be worthwhile to run the troubleshooter. They've gotten a heck of a lot better and actually (surprisingly) fix things from time to time. :)

Hope this helps!

-JP

scott2158

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
I also tried this but when I typed config renew it says "no operation can be performed on local area connection 3 while it has its media disabled" Now what??? Scott

scott2158

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

I also tried this but when I typed config renew it says "no operation can be performed on local area connection 3 while it has its media disabled" Now what??? Scott

Dredberg

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
Shut down the computer, then unplug your power supply for about 1 minute. Then start her up and it should work. I don't know why but when I shut down my computer then start it again I get this error everytime. But I do what I mentioned & it fixes it. Good luck