[SOLVED] Windows 10 lock screen uses 56% of available battery?

g-unit1111

Titan
This is a bizarre problem that I've been having with my laptop and I can't seem to pinpoint what is causing it. And when I turn my laptop on, it has been running all day (after being unplugged) and it is burning hot and has drained the battery to almost nothing. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? My laptop, BTW is an HP Omen (2020 model) with a Ryzen 7 4800H, 16GB RAM, 2 x 1TB M2 drives (one user installed - WD Black SN750) and a 1660TI. Also currently running the most recent version of Windows 10, 21H1.

Is there a background process or power setting or BIOS setting that could be causing this?

IMMf55h.jpg

Solution
Battery draining to almost nothing after running all day is normal, refusing to sleep if configured to do so is not. Burning hot after running all day on battery is...not quite possible, except if it was in a bag?

Does your system have an option for disabling iGPU and directly connecting the panel to discrete GPU? That could add some 10W+ of idle load by itself, if it was refusing to sleep.

Mouse and keyboard inputs registered by wireless receiver could be enough to wake it up, even if the panel was closed. At least that's what appeared to happen with mine.

I'm sure there are utilities for logging activity by process in an useful way, but I'm not familiar with any myself.

Failing all else and if acceptable to your use case, check...

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Battery draining to almost nothing after running all day is normal, refusing to sleep if configured to do so is not. Burning hot after running all day on battery is...not quite possible, except if it was in a bag?

Does your system have an option for disabling iGPU and directly connecting the panel to discrete GPU? That could add some 10W+ of idle load by itself, if it was refusing to sleep.

Mouse and keyboard inputs registered by wireless receiver could be enough to wake it up, even if the panel was closed. At least that's what appeared to happen with mine.

I'm sure there are utilities for logging activity by process in an useful way, but I'm not familiar with any myself.

Failing all else and if acceptable to your use case, check and disable wake timers settings in power options.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS