Question Windows 10 Locking Up on Simple Tasks

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Hey guys before we even get started here are the specifications of this computer. I built it many years ago as a gaming rig.

AMD FX-8120 (Eight Cores at 3.1 GHZ)
16GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6900 2GB VRAM
ADATA SU800 SSD (Windows 10 Location)

I forget what my power supply is but I think it is over 600+ watts. So basically this PC cannot handle surfing the web. I have noticed after it restarts or we lose power it can a very long time to recover. Especially if I am trying to load up a few dozen tabs at a time. When I try to go back to a webpage or a video I was watching it just freezes and can stay like that for entire minutes. This can happen several times before I can do whatever it is I wanted to do. However, the funny thing is as long as the computer does not experience a power failure of some sort I can usually come back the next day and it is fine. Sometimes Windows crashes all together with some generic message. I have suspected the power supply or the SSD for awhile now. I have pulled up task manager before and know that the PSU is the only thing that says Very High when I am looking for a problem.

So I was hoping someone could give me a course of action. Like stress testing components or something. I tried reinstalling Windows awhile back and that did not help any. Also another thing is that it may start with a web browser but it definitely locks up the entire operating system. The computer is very reliable but trying to get it back up and running after said power failure can be a nightmare.

Hey guys before we even get started here are the specifications of this computer. I built it many years ago as a gaming rig.

AMD FX-8120 (Eight Cores at 3.1 GHZ)
16GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6900 2GB VRAM
ADATA SU800 SSD (Windows 10 Location)

I forget what my power supply is but I think it is over 600+ watts. So basically this PC cannot handle surfing the web. I have noticed after it restarts or we lose power it can a very long time to recover. Especially if I am trying to load up a few dozen tabs at a time. When I try to go back to a webpage or a video I was watching it just freezes and can stay like that for entire minutes. This can happen several times before I can do whatever it is I wanted to do. However, the funny thing is as long as the computer does not experience a power failure of some sort I can usually come back the next day and it is fine. Sometimes Windows crashes all together with some generic message. I have suspected the power supply or the SSD for awhile now. I have pulled up task manager before and know that the PSU is the only thing that says Very High when I am looking for a problem.

So I was hoping someone could give me a course of action. Like stress testing components or something. I tried reinstalling Windows awhile back and that did not help any. Also another thing is that it may start with a web browser but it definitely locks up the entire operating system. The computer is very reliable but trying to get it back up and running after said power failure can be a nightmare.
Give the innards a good cleaning.
Heat sinks and fans extra clean.
Any case filters make sure they are clean.

Replace the bios bat......their cheap.

Reactions: Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Give the innards a good cleaning.
Heat sinks and fans extra clean.
Any case filters make sure they are clean.

Replace the bios bat......their cheap.

Thanks for the reply. So I did recently clean it. Also maybe I should have been more descriptive. The power failure/cycling is something that happens from power outages or the computer naturally restarting automatically for things like updates. Having that said, I have not replaced the BIOS battery.