Windows 10 Login Screen Display is Delayed On Startup

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
Hi all,
I was hoping that I could have some help with an issue that I have been having regarding my Windows 10 startup. Whenever I start my PC up windows boots within 12 seconds but I have to wait an extra 15 seconds or so for it to display the login screen, and when it does it jumps straight into typing the password for my main account, not account selection or displaying the time and whatnot. I do not have this issue when restarting, only when starting up my PC after it was shut down. I also boot windows on an SSD, although i'm not sure if that's part of the issue.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Solution
Uptime is related to how Fast Startup works. windows 10 (with fast startup on) is not off when you shut it down, its in a hybrid hibernate state which, when you shut it off, saves a copy of the windows kernel + any loaded drivers into memory, so when you start it up again, its meant to already have half the drivers loaded meaning windows should be faster to boot. It also means that until you actually reset the PC, it will show its uptime in days or weeks.

The only time a PC with fast startup on is actually off is during a restart.

If you turn fast startup off, PC is actually off when you shut it down. My uptime is only 10 hours which lines up with when I turned PC on this morning.

what are specs of PC? Do you have latest BIOS...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since it doesn't happen after a restart and you have an SSD, try turning fast startup off since you probably aren't getting a lot of benefit from it - it is meant to speed the startup on HDD, doesn't benefit SSD or anything faster - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

As to why it only happens on a startup/shutdown, its possible a driver on PC doesn't like the new power modes in win 10, so making sure you have latest drivers for motherboard/other hardware can't hurt.

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018

I'ill give it a shot and let you know how it goes, thanks a ton for the advice.
As for my drivers, I only built my pc about a month or so ago so everything should be up to date and I updated my GPU Drivers a few days ago, but I will make sure the check and let you know how it goes.

Once again, thanks so much for helping me with this :D

Edit: I tried disabling fast startup but the setting was locked, so I can't. I checked my CPU uptime as well and it was almost 2 days, which was crazy considering I only use it for a couple of hours a day and then shut it down when im not using it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Uptime is related to how Fast Startup works. windows 10 (with fast startup on) is not off when you shut it down, its in a hybrid hibernate state which, when you shut it off, saves a copy of the windows kernel + any loaded drivers into memory, so when you start it up again, its meant to already have half the drivers loaded meaning windows should be faster to boot. It also means that until you actually reset the PC, it will show its uptime in days or weeks.

The only time a PC with fast startup on is actually off is during a restart.

If you turn fast startup off, PC is actually off when you shut it down. My uptime is only 10 hours which lines up with when I turned PC on this morning.

what are specs of PC? Do you have latest BIOS?

Locked...
did you follow these steps?
right click start, choose power options - this opens settings at screen Power & sleep
in this settings menu, choose "Additional power settings" (under related settings)
click "Choose what the power button does" in left hand list of commands
then click next to the shield icon "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
click the box for fast startup so its off
save changes

Solution

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018

I managed to turn it off and now it starts even faster without fast start enabled for some reason, and I made sure all of my drivers were up to date so it looks like the problem is fixed for now but sometimes it reappears after a few days so i'll let you know if that happens.
In the mean time, I cannot thank you enough for your help, I really appreciate it, so thanks a ton!