Question Windows 10 login screen totally blank

dukisha016

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
HI!

I am having some trouble with my Win 10. When I come to the login screen I press enter or whatever on the keyboard and the screen goes blank and blur. There is no login prompt asking for a password. I have tried many things:
-Auto repair
-Safe mode(there I do get a login screen but only for the Administrator account, not for my account-also admin)
-Blank pass using alternative Windows Recovery Environments
-Setting Credential Manager to Auto(that gave me 1804 error in the Safe mode)
-Bypassing login screen
-Disabled Login password

Nothing of this worked. In the end, I am always greeted with a blurry background! I am running out of ideas and I need some help.

Any help is appreciated

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Well, the blurry background part, in and of itself, is completely normal as of Version 1903. The background image goes from crystal clear to heavily blurred when the login prompt should be appearing.

The following is my standard script when strange issues such as this come up. You will need to log in under Safe Mode, in whatever way you can, to try the first two (and I'm not sure the second will work in Safe Mode:
---------------------------------
Before going any further, it must be noted that a repair install (or feature update, when those are being done) allows one to keep all of one's files and apps (desktop/installed and store varieties). This is in complete contrast to a Reset (which allows either keeping just one’s files or wiping everything), or a Refresh or Completely Clean Reinstall, both of which wipe everything.

My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) is trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

3. Doing a completely clean reinstall:

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

I never choose the “thermonuclear option”, the completely clean reinstall, until it's clear that this is the only viable option. I hate having to go through all the work of reconfiguring a machine from scratch if that can reasonably and safely be avoided.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

dukisha016

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Well, the blurry background part, in and of itself, is completely normal as of Version 1903. The background image goes from crystal clear to heavily blurred when the login prompt should be appearing.

The following is my standard script when strange issues such as this come up. You will need to log in under Safe Mode, in whatever way you can, to try the first two (and I'm not sure the second will work in Safe Mode:
---------------------------------
Before going any further, it must be noted that a repair install (or feature update, when those are being done) allows one to keep all of one's files and apps (desktop/installed and store varieties). This is in complete contrast to a Reset (which allows either keeping just one’s files or wiping everything), or a Refresh or Completely Clean Reinstall, both of which wipe everything.

My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) is trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

3. Doing a completely clean reinstall:

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

I never choose the “thermonuclear option”, the completely clean reinstall, until it's clear that this is the only viable option. I hate having to go through all the work of reconfiguring a machine from scratch if that can reasonably and safely be avoided.
I will try option 1. As for option 2, I cannot proceed with it since I can not enter the Desktop environment.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write the answer!

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Just remember, that you can boot into a bootable USB flash drive with the Win10 install media to do a repair install.

I have instructions for that, somewhere, too, if you need them.

It acts a lot like doing a Windows 7/8/8.1 to Win10 upgrade does, but you're not upgrading (though you could be doing a feature update) but repairing Win10.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

dukisha016

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Just remember, that you can boot into a bootable USB flash drive with the Win10 install media to do a repair install.

I have instructions for that, somewhere, too, if you need them.

It acts a lot like doing a Windows 7/8/8.1 to Win10 upgrade does, but you're not upgrading (though you could be doing a feature update) but repairing Win10.
How do you do that? You can either upgrade(have to be the previous version of Windows like 7 or 8, simulated to upgrade win10 1809 to win10 1903 did not work) or do a clean install.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Also, this very recent post by Andre Da Costa (who I know well by reputation from support.microsoft.com) may be exactly what you're looking for:

How to Reinstall Windows 10 without USB or DVD Recovery Media

also have a look at this topic at TheWindowsClub:

How to Boot or Repair Windows 10 using the Installation Media

(the latter of which covers, very well, what I had been referring to, but the former may actually be easier).

Addendum: The Da Costa article won't be helpful here. I thought he covered repairing for some reason, not just reinstallation. I'm leaving it, though, since it is useful information someone might want to have. Stick with the second linked article.

Last edited: