[SOLVED] Windows 10 logo appears, then newly built PC restarts, and this continuous cycle happens non-stop.

Feb 16, 2021
I’m not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, please correct me if I’m wrong, I'm a complete noob when it comes to assembling a working pc. I’ve decided recently to build a gaming pc, using the aid of some youtubers and pc part picker for the selection of parts. I separated an entire day where I could carefully build it, rewatching where each part should go several times, until everything was attached to the correct place. So “hard part done, and it’s just smooth sailing from here,” right? Nope. To my dismay this has been the most stressful part for the better part of an entire week with me trying to fix this. All that is left for me is to install an operating system (Windows 10 64-bit), except I do not contain or know anyone with a windows operating system to install it into a USB and try to boot the newly computer I built. I only contain a macbook, and a chromebook, so I’ve watched countless videos on youtube of people showing how to download it on a mac, most of them use terminal to install wimlib commands in order to split the “install.wim” file, because apparently it’s too large to be transferred to a ms-dos formatted usb? I’m not too knowledgeable about this stuff. Anyways, it doesn’t matter, they all end up in the same place, not working, untilllll I’ve found this guy that uses rufus that makes the windows iso readable by the uefi (I’m referring to him:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4LgzMaYCQk
) on the bios of the computer (this is all happening on a macbook). I finally am successful with downloading the windows iso into a usb in a way in which the pc recognizes it, so I put the usb on the 3.0 port on the motherboard of the desktop, adjust the setting in the bios so it’s uefi only, and the secure boot is disabled, I save and reboot, a bunch of text appears in the corner left of the monitor, and then the windows 10 logo appears, the loading circles below it starts spinning but before they can fully circle around and show the set up menu, the screen freezes and the keyboard shuts off. Once that happens the monitor and keyboard turn on again, then the same thing keeps happening (windows logo and loading circle reappearing) again and again, it’s like a loop. This is the part that is killing me, I don’t know if it’s something wrong with the pc or is it the method of installation of windows which im restricted to only using a mac or chromebook. I’ve tried reattaching the RAM, reattaching the GPU, reattaching the m.2 nvme SSD, but haven't messed with the PSU cables attached to the motherboard yet since I want to make sure if I need to, because I’m afraid of breaking something on the motherboard. Same results... I’m confident it’s not the PSU, because it was recommended to me that I get at least a 500w one, and instead I got a 750w just to make sure. The PC doesnt turn off at all (fans are still spinning, and lights are constantly on) during the windows logo part, it’s just the keyboard and monitor connected to it. I'm lost. I don’t know what to do, I feel like I've done pretty much everything, help would be much appreciated, and I’m sorry for the huge block of text.

This is my set up in case it helps:
GPU: Rog Strix RX 5600xt
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: X470 GAMING PLUS Max
Ram: XPG GAMMIX D30 Desktop Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Red
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe
PSU: ARESGAME 750W Power Supply Semi Modular 80+ Bronze PSU (AGV750)

Solution
Okay looks like the bootable drive you made with rufus might be corrupted because it didn't get created properly?
Try this guide.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-installer-usb-drive-mac?amp

It utilizes bootcamp, so there's no command line stuff involved, and hopefully it won't get corrupted.

And if the same thing happens, try installing windows first on your mac in bootcamp , use the 'I don't have a product key' option( because you don't wanna activate your license here), and boot into windows on your mac, download a copy of windows from the microsoft website, and create a bootable usb drive using Microsoft's create bootable media tool.

If that doesn't work as well, use rufus to create a bootable linux...

sds20020024

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Okay looks like the bootable drive you made with rufus might be corrupted because it didn't get created properly?
Try this guide.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-installer-usb-drive-mac?amp

It utilizes bootcamp, so there's no command line stuff involved, and hopefully it won't get corrupted.

And if the same thing happens, try installing windows first on your mac in bootcamp , use the 'I don't have a product key' option( because you don't wanna activate your license here), and boot into windows on your mac, download a copy of windows from the microsoft website, and create a bootable usb drive using Microsoft's create bootable media tool.

If that doesn't work as well, use rufus to create a bootable linux thumb drive from within the bootcamped windows and check if your pc can boot into an OS properly at all.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 16, 2021
Ok, I straight up jumped to installing linux just to make sure it wasn't anything wrong with the PC before attempting anything related with Windows 10. The same thing that happened with windows is happening with linux, the monitor turns off, and the keyboard with it. So I presume there is an issue with one of the parts, but I do not know which. If the issue really is with the PC, is there a method to know which part is not working? My guess is that it's the motherboard, but I'm not sure. If it was the motherboard, it would be a charm because I still apply for a refund since I bought it just 2 weeks ago.

sds20020024

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Ok, I straight up jumped to installing linux just to make sure it wasn't anything wrong with the PC before attempting anything related with Windows 10. The same thing that happened with windows is happening with linux, the monitor turns off, and the keyboard with it. So I presume there is an issue with one of the parts, but I do not know which. If the issue really is with the PC, is there a method to know which part is not working? My guess is that it's the motherboard, but I'm not sure. If it was the motherboard, it would be a charm because I still apply for a refund since I bought it just 2 weeks ago.
So you made the linux bootable drive from within the bootcamped windows in your mac?
Maybe try booting off of the linux usb stick instead of trying to install linux.

When installing linux, when you got to pick which partition to install on, did you see other partitions on the drive?
Maybe try to delete them and try installing linux again.
It could be that the previous windows bootloader got corrupted.

Can you get into the BIOS?

If installing linux by deleting the partitions on the boot drive doesn't work, maybe try resetting the CMOS first.
Locate the CMOS battery on your motherboard, and take it out after your pc is powered off and the psu switch is flipped off. (Make sure to either wear an anti static wrist strap connected to a grounded piece of metal or touch a bare piece of grounded metal every few minutes, for me, the bare aluminium back of my refrigerator has an earth wire connected to it, so that works.)

Take the CMOS battery out and after about 5 minutes or so, put it back in.
This will reset the BIOS.
Then maybe try installing the OS again.

And if that doesn't work as well, start troubleshooting your hardware.

Btw, I didn't notice your specs before.
Most X470 motherboards aren't compatible with zen 2 without a BIOS update.
You say your motherboard is X470 gaming plus max, if this is MSI X470 gaming plus max, then the BIOS should already be updated for zen 2.
But if clearing the CMOS doesn't help, maybe try to update the BIOS.
Updating the BIOS can be very risky if you're not careful as you can actually brick your motherboard.

If you're an absolute beginner in terms of dealing with PCs, I'd say take it to a local repair shop and tell them to update the BIOS for you.

But see whether all of the things above does anything for you first.

Here these should help :

https://www.pcworld.com/article/202038/how_to_troubleshoot_your_home_built_pc.html

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LfNW9cCBD84

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS