[SOLVED] Windows 10 loosing connection to mouse

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
This is one strange issue I have with the computer I rebuilt for my mom.... I can not find any answers and am clueless...

It is an older computer that I had previous to this one, off hand I can not remember what everything is. I never had any issues with any USB device on it before..

The wierd thing about is that no other USB device looses connection and the only way to get the mouse to work again is to plug it into a different USB port. It will work for a while and you hear the sound windows 10 makes when plugging in a new device

Even if it is unplugged and plugged back into the same port, it will not work. It has to be plugged into another port to work again, so that is why I am asking as if it were simply a issue with the mouse, it should work if unplugged and put back in. Which is why I am clueless, it is the weirdest issue I have seen and could understand if it were possibly an issue with the USB controller going bad, yet nothing else is having an issue with the usb..

I have ran virus and malware scans and nothing was found, I tried swapping my mouse that I use and it has the same issue so the mouse is not the issue. I moved it from the back motherboard usb ports to the front of the case also, to make it easier to switch.

Last edited:
Solution
i would suggest a clean boot but if it still happens in safe mode, it should also happen in a clean boot too. Clean boot just reduces programs that start up with windows down to things that come with windows. Safe mode goes 1 step further.

Does anything show in event viewer? or reliability history? If its hardware, windows may not know it happens.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what type of mouse is it? Is it a gaming mouse that might have drivers installed on it, or just a normal mouse? I guess this applies to both mice.

Need to know specs of PC then.

Does it happen in safe mode? if the mouse uses Windows default drivers, it should use those in safe mode as well. Be an interesting way to see if its a hardware problem or software causing the D/C

right click start
choose settings
choose update & security
choose recovery
click restart now under Advanced startup
This restart PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

let me know what happens in safe mode?

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
what type of mouse is it? Is it a gaming mouse that might have drivers installed on it, or just a normal mouse? I guess this applies to both mice.

Need to know specs of PC then.

Does it happen in safe mode? if the mouse uses Windows default drivers, it should use those in safe mode as well. Be an interesting way to see if its a hardware problem or software causing the D/C

right click start
choose settings
choose update & security
choose recovery
click restart now under Advanced startup
This restart PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

let me know what happens in safe mode?

Her mouse is a MSI starmouse gs130(black)... My mouse I use a logitech G502... I did try safe mode already and it does the same thing...

That pc has a amd 955 black edition phenom2 on a m4n72-e motherboard, 4 gigs of corsair ddr2...

Just a fyi... I have been working on and building computers since I was 18, which was 24 years ago... To this day, I have seen some weird things, and this "takes the cake" in the oddities I have encountered over the years

I may just do a fresh install of windows, for me that is a last resort as i hate having to do it.

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
curious if its psu maybe. I know USB devices are normally the 1st to not work if there is a power issue. It is odd its just the mouse.

USB 2 is built into windows. Has been for a long time so it isn't going to be drivers.

Yes I knew that, but as it is just the mouse/mice is what makes it so odd... Rarely the wireless adapter does not register when booting, that happens maybe once every 5 months and just unplugging the usb from it and putting it back in fixes it. So the really confusing thing with the mouse is that it has to be placed into another port to work.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I will see if anyone else has any ideas. I looked for similar and couldn't find any.

does restarting PC still leave the ports blocked? wonder if it does same on linux, running off a live USB. Would tell us if its hardware or not, if it does same things in linux, its not a software issue.

Reactions: shadowxsx

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
I will see if anyone else has any ideas. I looked for similar and couldn't find any.

does restarting PC still leave the ports blocked? wonder if it does same on linux, running off a live USB. Would tell us if its hardware or not, if it does same things in linux, its not a software issue.

Restarting it works fine after, until the glitch happens again. She may use it for 4 hours and it may not happen at all, or happens every 15 minutes.

When I ran bitdefnder on it, the mouse did not glitch during that time.

I also looked for any similar issues and could not find any...

At this point I think the computer has developed some form of AI and found some digital drugs to use, as my best guess LOL

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would suggest a clean boot but if it still happens in safe mode, it should also happen in a clean boot too. Clean boot just reduces programs that start up with windows down to things that come with windows. Safe mode goes 1 step further.

Does anything show in event viewer? or reliability history? If its hardware, windows may not know it happens.

Solution

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016

I will have to look at event viewer, had not thought of that, I will check later and see.... Not sure why I had not thought of that, as that is one of the first things I usually look at on my pc when i have an issue on mine..

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
LOL apparently a windows update fixed it somehow. It has not done it on her since one came through the day after I posted it... There must have been an update since I built this computer I am using now that caused it, as I never had that issue when I was using that computer with Windows