Question Windows 10 lowers display brightness when charger is removed

Jan 9, 2023
I have a Windows 10 laptop. When i disconnect the charger, the display brightness goes down slightly, despite the fact that in Power Options i have selected maximm performance for all options, and everything Windows Mobility Center is fully maxed.

Why does that happen? How to make Windows 10 to not lower display brightness when charger is removed?

Just turn up your brightness after you've disconnected the charger. It should remember that setting, so even after you'd connect and disconnect it again, it should keep the higher brightness.

See it as two possible scenarios, one brightness setting with the charger connected, and one brightness setting with the charger disconnected.

Jan 9, 2023
Just turn up your brightness after you've disconnected the charger. It should remember that setting, so even after you'd connect and disconnect it again, it should keep the higher brightness.

See it as two possible scenarios, one brightness setting with the charger connected, and one brightness setting with the charger disconnected.
You mean i have to lower and increase again the brightness once i remove the charger? I did it, but it didn't work.

My laptop did the same when I disconnected the charger, so I turned up the brightness. I connected my charger again and gave it 5 seconds before disconnecting it again. My brightness didn't go down again.

So once you up the brightness, Windows should remember that setting and go back to that setting once you disconnect your charger again.

As far as I know, that's how Windows should work by default.

check control panel-> hardware and sound->power options-> edit plan settings
select change advances power settings
find the entry for your cpu gpu
and confirm that the powered setting reads the same as the on battery setting.
my older laptop goes dimmer on battery but this setting says
balanced when on battery
and high performance when plugged in.

in the mobility setting I think it is set to the highest value and I do notice the dimming when I unplug the charger

this laptop does not have a second GPU.