Question Windows 10 LTSB? Stalling and Files Not Opening?

rrreed

Honorable
May 25, 2018
Hey everyone,

We have a computer that is running a CMM machine in our shop. Lately the software that operates the machine has been stalling at random intervals and often locking up all together. In the task manager, there are no signs of stress on the system between CPU, Memory or Disk resources.

Another strange thing that we've noticed is that PDFs and Excel files will not open locally unless you right click and select edit file. These same files can be dragged to shared folders on the network and opened just fine. Same thing with files that are already found on the network but anything local won't do anything when you click to open.

I've noticed that the OS is Windows 10 LTSB 2016 and I've done some research to find that it prevents updates. We bought this computer used from another company and this was the OS that it came with. I'm not sure if this is what is causing these issues or if you guys have any other ideas as to what it can be.

I've tried running 'sfc/scannow' and 'chkdsk /r' to test for any issues that those may pick up. We've been worried that this may be issues stemming from either the LTSB tag on our OS or that maybe there are issues with our graphics card/driver.