Windows 10 LTSB

Enrok M

Honorable
Sep 12, 2016
Hello, I just want totally get rid of windows 10 Microsoft store and it's features including all those ugly and useless apps. I was using windows 7 before and after I built my new computer I got windows 10 and after that I missed how simple windows 7 were, so I found out about windows 10 LTSB and like one guy said on some other forums '' the windows 7 of windows 10'' and that's something what exactly I was looking, but one question, it is good for gaming? I am using my pc mostly for gaming. I have gtx 1070ti and ryzen 5 2600x. Thank you for answers

Solution
No, I have no interest in using the LTSB on a home computer, despite how much I dislike Windows 10 as-is. To that end, the only machine I have Windows 10 on is the one that requires it due to gaming support. The rest run Windows 8.1 or 7. I won't run Windows 10 on a production machine or daily driver as it's less suited to that than what it was intended to replace.

Version level of Windows 10 is unlikely to affect performance in games enough to make a specific version worth more than any other. The most influential performance issues will be driver versioning, and you will likely be stuck on older drivers using LTSB, which is to be expected.

The LTSB is intentionally not made for the kind of environment where hardware and software...
Is it good for gaming? Well, basically, it's Windows 10 without most of the annoying garbage, and it will also miss the feature updates that Microsoft promised to push twice a year. It will likely work as well or better than the consumer editions, so I would say it should be good for gaming, but any actual gaming performance difference is likely to be negligible, and only measurable by benchmarking. In my opinion, the benefit is mostly in the end user experience.

When a new LTSB version is available, every couple of years, it has to be installed manually, but I don't see that as a problem.

Update: I have read that NVIDIA's consumer card drivers may refuse to install on the LTSB, so I strongly recommend you test drive it before you commit to it. If that's the case, I would have to say, no, it's not suitable for consumer gaming at all. I believe the problem is that the drivers require a certain version of Windows 10, and LTSB will always be on a lower version than the Current Branch version of Windows 10. Older NVIDIA drivers may support the LTSB, but I suspect you're going to run into issues updating drivers at some point.

Enrok M

Honorable
Sep 12, 2016
And yeah, about The nVidia drivers i have heard same but also other guy posted on some other forums this "I am dual-booting Debian and WIndows 10 LTSB and haven't had issues on my GTX 1070 on either OS. I bought it for VR gaming and have never once came across any issues. I've also hooked it up to my 4K TV and once again, no issues. Seems to work just fine for me" so from his side everything is totally fine. Only way to find out is to try i guess

No, I have no interest in using the LTSB on a home computer, despite how much I dislike Windows 10 as-is. To that end, the only machine I have Windows 10 on is the one that requires it due to gaming support. The rest run Windows 8.1 or 7. I won't run Windows 10 on a production machine or daily driver as it's less suited to that than what it was intended to replace.

Version level of Windows 10 is unlikely to affect performance in games enough to make a specific version worth more than any other. The most influential performance issues will be driver versioning, and you will likely be stuck on older drivers using LTSB, which is to be expected.

The LTSB is intentionally not made for the kind of environment where hardware and software changes are routinely made and is not even available as a regular product. You have to either pay an ongoing subscription fee, either monthly or annually, or be part of an organization with a volume licensing agreement, or put up with Microsoft nagging you that your copy of Windows is not properly licensed. None of those options interest me.

Solution
From the looks of things, NVIDIA drivers target specific Windows 10 versions. It will be a problem if you try to install drivers targeting a newer version of Windows than your LTSB is at. I suspect you should be able to find drivers that work, but you'll probably also find you can't always install the newest drivers from NVIDIA, which may limit support for newer games.