Question Windows 10 Media Player No Longer Playing?

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
Tried to play a regular cd on my rig, but WMP will not play. I know they stopped many of my playlists, saying it's the wrong CODEC, but might they have somehow also stopped playback?

My Rig

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-8300 23 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 805MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 (Socket M2) 42 °C
Graphics
E321VL (1600x900@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER (MSI) 48 °C
Storage
111GB TOSHIBA MKNSSDEC120GB ATA Device (SATA (SSD)) 41 °C
1863GB MB2000EBUCF ATA Device (SATA ) 44 °C
1862GB Western Digital WD Elements 2621 USB Device (USB (SATA) (SSD)) 34 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS324 F ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
I lost just about ALL of my self-created playlists to that CODEC problem, and even though I tried different players (WinAmp, etc.) I could never recover my music, so I gave up. This post is just about me trying to get a cd to play by inserting it into the drive. Just absolutely nothing happens. Can they just go in and deactivate that part of my rig? I know they no longer support WMP, but didn't think they would take it all.

Thanks

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
Well, I tried the only other one I trust, VPN, but every version I try gets me an unsafe site warning. Malwarebytes pulled up a trojan. I am thinking of a stand-alone cd/dvd player, but unless it is plug and play, I'd still need trustworthy software, right? I have also tried WinAmp when this Codec missing problem first started, but no go there as well. I will include the items you asked for in my next post.

Is it even worthwhile anymore to try and store my music cd's on my rig?

ETA: I was able to finally play a cd on my rig's player, so that part of it is solved. However, I still lament the loss of all my playlists consisting of 350 songs in total. It's as if WMP is taunting me: It shows each song's title, but as far as playing any of them, all I get is that "wrong CODEC", even after I initiated the auto-correct feature.

Important Question: Has anyone in the same situation as me ever gotten your playlists to play after seeing the CODEC error message (s)?

Thanks

Last edited: