Question Windows 10 memory vs win7?

Tad2

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
My issue is with a newly updated w10 install.
Was w7 64 pro.

I do this memory allocation test.
Open 3dsmax, make as many polygons as you can and see how much ram it uses.
On win7 i could get 300mil polys more than i can in w10 on the same machine.

System 3570k. 16gb corsair 1600ddr3. Gtx670sli

Im planning an upgrade eventually but never thought i would need more than 16gb ram.
Now im thinking 64gb would be ok.

Tad2

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Ah... hmmm. I suppose that could be the issue.
It was an upgrade not a clean reinstall.
But the original w7 install was pretty fresh, and the upgrade went seamlessly.

Tad2

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
ok, so they deal with memory in basically the same style?
I just noticed the task manager looks totally different.
w10 has memory split up into all these new groups "compressed" "committed" "cached" ??

ok, so they deal with memory in basically the same style?
I just noticed the task manager looks totally different.
w10 has memory split up into all these new groups "compressed" "committed" "cached" ??
Only "Compressed" is new in W10, all others are same , it just a matter of what you are viewing with, W10 just shows more with Task manager and Resource monitor.
When windows sense that some of memory is not used for a while, it compresses it to provide more RAM to other users. Stand by is similar but not compressed. "Cashed" is amount in swap file on disk.
Stand by + free is actual free RAM with "Free" used first and Stand by in case it's not enough.

Tad2

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Windows 10 may be more efficient thanks to memory compression, but it is also more memory hungry - you may want to run a decrapifier to remove some of the extra useless stuff.
See this is what im talking about. That sounds like they definitely do memory different.

Maybe this particular task causes w10 to gobble memory thinking itll be faster? Vs w7 that lets the memory useage stay low and slow.

Total guessing

See this is what im talking about. That sounds like they definitely do memory different.

Maybe this particular task causes w10 to gobble memory thinking itll be faster? Vs w7 that lets the memory useage stay low and slow.

Total guessing
No, it's just that win7 would boot allocating 700mb for itself while win10 will request 1500mb. That is almost a full gigabyte gone MS knows where.