Windows 10 Micro-Freeze

Zigoulagoulas

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Hello,

Not sure whether I should post this in the Windows or the GPU section but here it goes...

Built a new rig last weekend consisting of the following parts:
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Intel i5-6600K
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
G Skill 16 GB (2x8) Trident Z @ 3200
CoolerMaster Hyper Evo 212
256 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
1 TB WD Caviar Blue HDD
Corsair RM750 PSU

In the last couple of days i began noticing an almost instantaneous freeze, regarding both display and sound, when clicking the Start Menu and then hovering over the options or even clicking them. I randomly took notice by simultaneously playing a youtube video on chrome while trying to access the Start Menu but then found out that it must had been happening all along. It's truly a micro-freeze, not lasting more than 100-300 ms, affecting the display as well as the sound (when playing sound it turns into a characteristic robotic "grrrz") but after that everything returns to normal. No BSODs or further stuttering or even flickering. It also happens during gaming, most notably in ARMA 3 and MK X although I can't say if it's random or instance-specific.

To avoid overcluttering the post, I did a clean install of the OS and updated the mobo BIOS to the latest version (1402) with no stability issues. Still, the problem persisted. I then Installed all of the 9-10 drivers available on the nVidia site (from 355.60 to 361.75 using DDU each time and then rebooting as is advised to) to no avail. Same thing happened with the automatic windows updates and the device manager update option. I then did a rollback as an act of despair and voila! Problem solved when the GPU is recognised as a generic "Microsoft basic display adapter" by the Device Manager. Worth noting I tried updating with the Intel utilty but that was a waste of time. I also found out that the audio drivers did not have an effect on the issue whatsoever, either by installing the mobo realtek drivers, either by installing the windows update drivers or by even letting it remain as a "microsoft speaker" (or whatever it may be called). Same by disabling the sound enhancements on the properties tab.

Since I now had a fair perspective of the issue I ran LatencyMon and -as expected- when equipped with drivers, everything goes red and it's suggested that I disable the cpu throttling settings and any existing WLAN adapters to avoid problems regarding real time audio handling. When "driver-less", on the other hand, everything is OK except the repeated suggestion about the cpu throttling settings. I should point out that I tried connecting both via ethernet and wifi (with a TP-Link adapter) but failed to notice any difference or discrepancy (regarding the Intel lxxxx V drivers issue I read about).

So, to wrap things up...Any -much appreciated- thoughts or suggestions as to how I might solve this micro freeze issue while having my GPU equipped with the appropriate (or any) drivers? It kinda bumps me that despite a new rig and an abundance of drivers I might be either forced to downgrade on OS terms either have the GPU stay bare. On the other hand the issue is as frequent as it needs to be to make things unbearable.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this something already addressed!

P.S. No OC or other tweaking and the temps are all good. The GPU is connected to the port via a pci-e riser cable that came with the case (Thermaltake Core P5).

Lutfij

Titan
One of the best things about the new platform may also be the worst thing and that is it being new to the market(agreed that it's already coming close to a year since release) though every update shows off a vulnerability in Windows 10. The issue is not confined with your drivers but the OS as well.

One suggestion you could try doing is disabling the Ethernet port while you're on your wireless adapter and vice versa. I must ask though, what sort of peripherals are connected to your system? Perhaps a USB device is causing an interrupt...? I'm also assuming you performed a reinstall using a recreated bootable USB installer and that you've installed Windows 10 using a licence key and not via the free upgrade path.