Windows 10 - Microsofts game plan.

ricky2014

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
Hi,

While there are lots of comment on the web about the pros and cons of W10, have not really read any thing about what Microsoft is really trying to achieve ?
Strange how all the press pundits have not ventured any thoughts in this direction; or very few at best.

So far W10 its a free upgrade until next July for W7/W8 users, and even talk of some free version for illegal users - sounds good ...??

However we have seen the start of the adverts, the pay for ad free programs like Solitare, Updates deleting non Microsoft programs, re-installing Microsoft programs/apps the user has deleted and adding any Microsoft program it wants to.

Plus they seem to be so agressive in getting folk to upgrade for free, well is anything really free ..?
In the UK we have had the toolbar white icon constantly nagging way and now we have full screen messages saying upgrade every other day, with some folk saying they are going to force us to upgrade in the new year .. !

What surprises me is that our US cousins seem happy with it all ..?
Normally if anyone tried to push the consumer around like this, your lawyers soon start class actions etc - but not heard a wimper ..?

So what are Microcsoft actually going to do when they have their 50% + captive audience, well they have to make money some how, does anyone think they are going accept lower profits ??

Which of these seems the likely outcome

Constant intrusive adverts, though an opt out version for a large yearly fee.

Constant ads promoting Microsoft or its partners products.

Removal or jamming of non Microsoft products eg like Libre Office
( can they be sued for such actions when W10 is a free product ? )

Would also think they will capitalsie on the old hardware, new software game , so any hardware maker must keep MS sweet.

Expect you can add a few more nasty surprises to that list ...

Options ? welcome any views.

Me, I'm making system backups of my W8.1 now, and starting to run Linux on another machine, which is not everyones favourite or easiest system, but at least I have 6 months to learn about it.
For any appications that are Windows only then I can run them on my old W8.1 system thats disconnected from the net.

Solution
If you do not want to receive the constant reminders to upgrade, you should be able to uninstall the update that put the Windows 10 Upgrade option on your system in the first place (KB3035583) and also hide that update so it's not automatically downloaded and reinstalled the next time Windows Update is run. I did this on my HTPC which has hardware that is not compatible with Windows 10 installed and have not seen and requests for upgrades since.

My main system has been running Windows 10 for a few months now. I've not seen or noticed any applications I've installed being blocked or uninstalled (to include OpenOffice). The one issue that I've noted has been with MS Solitaire Collection (which I do play from time to time). After the...

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you do not want to receive the constant reminders to upgrade, you should be able to uninstall the update that put the Windows 10 Upgrade option on your system in the first place (KB3035583) and also hide that update so it's not automatically downloaded and reinstalled the next time Windows Update is run. I did this on my HTPC which has hardware that is not compatible with Windows 10 installed and have not seen and requests for upgrades since.

My main system has been running Windows 10 for a few months now. I've not seen or noticed any applications I've installed being blocked or uninstalled (to include OpenOffice). The one issue that I've noted has been with MS Solitaire Collection (which I do play from time to time). After the first week or so, I've noted constant "Want a Boost?" ads at the start of each game and I don't think I'll be able to remove those.

I would note that I did not perform an upgrade on this system, but a purchase and fresh install of Windows 10 (as my old hd with Windows 7 failed) and I couldn't seem to locate my old product key.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
To me it is just another code revision of the Windows NT 6 Kernel, DX12 and the retirement of older standards. Signing the death of IE probably my favorite piece of news. Edge will probably turn out much like Chrome and Firefox going forward, so that will be a good thing for people that don't install their own browser.

Most of the complaints on privacy and the 'forced' upgrade stuff may effect people in general, but the for user capable of googling, or binging, you can get it back to a pretty much Windows 7/Vista feature set. Since I keep up on tech news, the update was no surprise. Start menu is back, sort of, and you can remove all of the nagging and self updating tiles, Cortana, and hide the app store if you choose. Applications on the App Store are pretty much to be avoided in my opinion. I don't think MS economy there is going to take off compared to iOS and Android, at least until WP is fully integrated and people are running around with x86 phones and tablets.

Had some minor issues upgrading my gaming desktop to 10. It took much longer then my i3 system for some reason and proceeded to install a non-compatible Intel NIC driver, which had to be manually removed (it would not upgrade with it installed) and the latest installed direct from the MB manufacturer. Smooth sailing after that.